Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Creating Ceramic Live Rock

Huskerguy84

• 3 months later...

The rock that I made for the 75 gallon is doing good. It still is not covered in coraline algae though. It has some red and green on it but not too much. The stability of the rock is great. The guy is able to keep all coral and all fish. Nothing has died and everything is good.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt read all the replies.

I seem to remember from pottery that you could mix in paper pulp in with your clay and when you fired it it would burn off and reduce the weight and add pores.

I would fire it by its self so if it explodes it doesnt ruin other peoples stuff.

• 5 months later...
Huskerguy84

The ceramic rock is doing great. No phosphates. Its in my good friend's 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump/fuge. His tank is pictured above on the 1st or 2nd day of adding the ceramic. He has many varieties of corals. His SPS and LPS colonies are huge. I will work on getting a picture but he will get arrested by the tang police. He has lots of big fish and feeds a bunch and his water quality is great.

On the downside: The rock barely has any coraline and is still a dull white. He has around 20lbs of real live rock and the coraline looks great on them.The rock could be somewhat more porous also.

• Like 1
Huskerguy84

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Huskerguy84/media/BB4A590C-E3FB-4C29-88D1-06163F81067D_zpsyzzhh0jq.jpg.html'>BB4A590C-E3FB-4C29-88D1-06163F81067D_zps

Okay, police, open fire. Actually, the only fish that is temporary is the purple tang. Our friend sold his 90 gallon soft reef to a newbie and didn't the new guy didn't want to lose a 200 dollar fish so this guy took it until we figure something out. The rest of the fish are staying, it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Huskerguy84

Well, started planning a stand design for 110 gallon acrylicwith a 55g sump/fuge for this guy . He will be transferring everything to that in a few months. Probably should have gone bigger to house the purple tang but its an improvement. Let me know what you think about the ceramic rock in the pic above. The front little rock is real the tower/plate rock in the back is ceramic.

bdevillier19

i think the tank looks pretty cool. you said before that you are in yuma? i'd like to try something like that in my tank. i'm setting up a 60 gallon that measures 48x16.5x16.5 and will be needing more rock when it gets setup in august.

Huskerguy84

Yeah, I live in Yuma. It is a great way to create rock that looks the way you want it, save money and reduces pressure on the environment. Building more would not be a problem. I would like to use the sawdust idea from above. That sounds money!

Off topic but we started building the stand for the 110g acrylic tank that the owner of the 75g above is switching to. This is from a few days ago.

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Huskerguy84/media/photo4_zpsfee91076.jpg.html'>photo4_zpsfee91076.jpg

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but my reef keeping interest has recently piqued and I am in the planning process of a new 700 build. Would love to hear about some long term success and/or advice about creating my own aquascape. Thank you in advance. 

• Like 1