Pod Your Reef

The addiction continues... 75 Gallons - Rimless

jdantunes

jdantunes
Such a clean setup. I'm jealous. Keep the updates coming.

Please don't be... I planned this setup for two years before I started to build. I spend lots of hours of researching online and listening to different podcast.

fewskillz

I mean your execution and build quality. All the research in the world doesn't teach that kind of craftsmanship. Well done.

jdantunes

I wanted to add substrate to my refugium and try to get as much information as I could. I choose to use mud, I have my doubt about the minerals deposits that contains will not be exhausted with years of use, but overall I feel comfortable with all the other claims about using this product. The favorite product found was "Miracle Mud" but I bought CaribSea at my LFS. I'll give it a try...

IMG_0059.jpg

At this point my initial tank set up was done and ready to let my tank cycle and get mature before I introduced any fish or coral. I used three whole table shrimps in a mesh bag to spike my ammonia level and kick start my cycle. It took about 10 days for Ammonia and Nitrites zero out, then I made a 20 gallon water change. I plumbed my media reactor into system just to make sure of keeping PO3 in check.

Here's a couple of shots of sump area

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_01892.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Then, I left the tank mature for a little over 90 days running all equipment except lights. I took this approach after hearing different speakers in the hobby agreed on this matter. Tony Vargas came to our club meeting and gave a lecture on setting new aquariums. He see the benefits of letting an aquarium properly cycle and mature with time before adding any critter into the aquarium. The bacteria, macro and micro critters that build a strong population when left to prosper can be beneficial for controlling waste when waste producing populations (fish and corals) are introduced.

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to add substrate to my refugium and try to get as much information as I could. I choose to use mud, I have my doubt about the minerals deposits that contains will not be exhausted with years of use, but overall I feel comfortable with all the other claims about using this product. The favorite product found was "Miracle Mud" but I bought CaribSea at my LFS. I'll give it a try...

IMG_0059.jpg

At this point my initial tank set up was done and ready to let my tank cycle and get mature before I introduced any fish or coral. I used three whole table shrimps in a mesh bag to spike my ammonia level and kick start my cycle. It took about 10 days for Ammonia and Nitrites zero out, then I made a 20 gallon water change. I plumbed my media reactor into system just to make sure of keeping PO3 in check.

Here's a couple of shots of sump area

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_01892.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

Then, I left the tank mature for a little over 90 days running all equipment except lights. I took this approach after hearing different speakers in the hobby agreed on this matter. Tony Vargas came to our club meeting and gave a lecture on setting new aquariums. He see the benefits of letting an aquarium properly cycle and mature with time before adding any critter into the aquarium. The bacteria, macro and micro critters that build a strong population when left to prosper can be beneficial for controlling waste when waste producing populations (fish and corals) are introduced.

Ready for the next update. :)
  • 1 month later...

Archived