SaltCritters.com

Waveline DC-5000 Pump

uglyfish

I installed a waveline dc-5000 pump last month and wanted to give a review.

This return pump replaced my supreme mag12. The supreme mag12 had numerous problems like heat, noise, vibration, prematurely worn parts, broken impeller, no response from customer service, nothing covered under the "5 year warranty"... so I decided to try the new offering at my LFS:

Waveline DC-5000 from Reef Life Support Systems

DC Drive, variable speed

6 speeds, plus 10 minute off timer in feed mode

Lots of fitting provided

40W power

1350gph max

First off - this pump is silent even at full power. I mean silent - no hum, no buzz, nothing. I literally cannot tell if it's on just by listening. And it runs cool. The build quality is quite good, the wires are long, and the controller is simple.

The nicest feature of this pump is the speed gradation. When I first plugged it in, it took me a while to figure out it takes about a minute to get up to full speed. The slow startup reduces stress on the impeller and should make it last longer (time will tell). I use the reefangel controller to engage feeding mode and when the controller cuts power to the pump, it ramps up to the previously used speed setting - with no shock to the impeller. Works perfect.

I realize this pump is a bit big for a nano rig, but it's variable speed, and powerful enough to run a bunch of media reactors off the same line. I'm removing the mj1200 and a small eheim pump that power my gac and gfo reactors - lessening the clutter in my sump. Waveline does sell the DC-3000 model which is rated at 800gph (about $140).

I paid $200 (CDN) for this pump ($20 less than the mag12) and am thoroughly pleased with it.

Quiet, efficient, powerful... this is my first experience with a DC drive pump and I'm seriously impressed.

disaster999

thanks for your review. Doubt any nano reefers would need a 1350 or 800gph pump, but its good to know how this pump performs. who knows maybe they will make them smaller for nano reef use.

They have 6 variable speeds, 1350 and 800 being the respective max outputs. I'm not sure what the lowest setting is, maybe ugly can comment on that, but I imagine that would make it flexible enough for use on your average sized nano.

The 1350gph (box actually reads 1320gph) pump drops to about 900gph at 4' head with a check valve. The six settings "feel" fairly linear (no measurement).

1=150gph, 2=300, 3=450, 4=600, 5=750, 6=900 gph

I run on setting 4 - I kick it up to full power when blowing off detritus and such. I slow it down to setting 1 when filling water changes.

I think the DC-3000 (25w at full power) would be great for a 20-40g nano, especially if feeding a couple of reactors. The 800gph "rating" is at zero head - in reality you may get 600gph at full power. So the 6 settings would be in increments of about 100gph. That's not unreasonable for a nano.

They have 6 variable speeds, 1350 and 800 being the respective max outputs. I'm not sure what the lowest setting is, maybe ugly can comment on that, but I imagine that would make it flexible enough for use on your average sized nano.

+ headloss, stupid.

It sounds like a solid pump, I'm glad you like it. You'd be shocked how little buzz surround these things, considering all of the potential applications for it.

It sounds like a solid pump, I'm glad you like it. You'd be shocked how little buzz surround these things, considering all of the potential applications for it.

There's no going back.

AZDesertRat

Have you plugged it in to a Kill A Watt meter to see how accurate their wattage claims are? I curious about the DC pumps myself and would like to get more info on them

I don't have a meter. I think the 40w is the motor rating and doesn't include the transformer or controller overhead. That said - actual usage should be somewhat lower at lower speeds and with some head pressure. I remember when hyundai made false fuel efficiency claims - it wasn't good business. I have no reason to doubt the 40w claim, it seems reasonable.

AZDesertRat

Unfortunately many of the pumps on the market have inflated claims and understated power consumption. I tested 10 or 15 pumps a few years ago and some were significantly off.

• 4 months later...
Rollermonkey

I intend to go DC with my new build, but these pumps (the Reef Octopus version at least) are almost (but not exactly) difficult to find right now.

• 2 months later...

I have the new dc 6000 and I can also say it runs so quiet I have to check my Alec to make sure it's on. It uses very very very little power compared to normal ac pumps. Foot print is small too

There's already been some modifications to these. The original Wavelines and Speedwaves for certain, not sure about the Reef Octopus Diablos, (all three are the same pump, from the same factory, with different colored plastic parts) are essentially off the market. Every vendor seems to be sold out. The new ones, arriving in the next week or so have been upgraded, and seem to be rated for a slightly higher max capacity, with new static head charts, etc. There is already early talk that the control head will be getting replaced soon, as well, to allow for controllability from reef controllers.

The DC-3500s are now DC-4000, the DC-5000/5500s are now DC-6000 and the DC-10500s are bumping all the way to DC-12000.

Archived