Pod Your Reef

Shipping Anemones

~LadyBug~

So, I'm looking for some input on the ins and outs of shipping, especially anemones, since that's what I'm looking at shipping at the moment and in the immediate future.

I've done some reading, and I've got-

• Insulated box(can they be found locally? people mentioned lining a regular box with supplies from Lowes-what would I be looking for?)
  • Double bag at least(ziplock work?)
  • Lots of water(??seems to be personal opinion...??)

Now, a couple of things that I'm iffy on-

• Heating vs. cooling(I live in Florida, people! And when I get stuff in with frozen packs in the middle of the summer, shipped next day but not delivered in the morning, those suckers are totally melted. Hot pack isn't sounding good to me... On the otherhand, do I want to freeze them?)
  • Saw advice about wrapping in papertowel. Seems like a decent idea, but since there's no skeleton to protect..should I or would it irritate the nem?

What am I missing from these lists? I'm trying to figure out how to do this well, because people are asking me to, but I want to make sure I can do it and do it right.

Thank you!

Paandemonium

A ziplock doesnt work all that well, If you have a local Michaels around you I suggest you purchase a medium plastic container with a screw-on lid(medium being larger that the specimen containers I I'm used to) they should be about $1-$2 each and are much better than baggies (make sure they're the food safe kind). (It doesn't HAVE to be from Michaels I just live close to one)

I like these better because in general they are pretty thick therefore the anemone cannot get crushed and has something to hold on to.

In general I ship anemones with about a cup of water you don't need much you just need enough for the anemone to be covered at all times

Here is my method

1. place anemone in plastic container, close lid

2. Get duct tape and go around the union of the top and bottom of the container(so that no water can leak)

3. prepare the box you'll be shipping in by lining the inside with styrofoam

4. fill the extra space between the container and the styrofoam with some type of filling material

(I wrap the container in bubble wrap and then fill the container with packing peanuts)

5. Get a long lasting heat pack and tape it to the piece of styrofoam that will be covering the top inside the box( although the heat pack may sound excessive it keeps the temp stable which is important if you are shipping far considering the fact that most shipping locations are freezing and especially so if it ends up on a plane)

6. tape everything up as per-uge

This is one of the best ways to ship because its better to be safe than sorry ;)

A ziplock doesnt work all that well, If you have a local Michaels around you I suggest you purchase a medium plastic container with a screw-on lid(medium being larger that the specimen containers I I'm used to) they should be about $1-$2 each and are much better than baggies (make sure they're the food safe kind). (It doesn't HAVE to be from Michaels I just live close to one)

I like these better because in general they are pretty thick therefore the anemone cannot get crushed and has something to hold on to.

In general I ship anemones with about a cup of water you don't need much you just need enough for the anemone to be covered at all times

Here is my method

1. place anemone in plastic container, close lid

2. Get duct tape and go around the union of the top and bottom of the container(so that no water can leak)

3. prepare the box you'll be shipping in by lining the inside with styrofoam

4. fill the extra space between the container and the styrofoam with some type of filling material

(I wrap the container in bubble wrap and then fill the container with packing peanuts)

5. Get a long lasting heat pack and tape it to the piece of styrofoam that will be covering the top inside the box( although the heat pack may sound excessive it keeps the temp stable which is important if you are shipping far considering the fact that most shipping locations are freezing and especially so if it ends up on a plane)

6. tape everything up as per-uge

This is one of the best ways to ship because its better to be safe than sorry ;)

Thanks for all the information! It sounds like you have a really good system! Mind if I ask a few more questions?

The container makes sense-they would be way happier if they could attach. So the heat pack even starting in FL/where do you get them?(I see you're even farther south than I am!)

Also, what carrier is best? It sounded like FedEx and UPS charged by dimensions versus weight with USPS which sounds better, but...

With supplies and actual shipping, what do you wind up charging to ship, *ish*?

Thanks again :D

If you want to try practicing shipping your nems to me I'm game! LOL

:lol:B)

Paandemonium

Thanks for all the information! It sounds like you have a really good system! Mind if I ask a few more questions?

The container makes sense-they would be way happier if they could attach. So the heat pack even starting in FL/where do you get them?(I see you're even farther south than I am!)

Also, what carrier is best? It sounded like FedEx and UPS charged by dimensions versus weight with USPS which sounds better, but...

With supplies and actual shipping, what do you wind up charging to ship, *ish*?

Thanks again :D

:lol:B)

I order my heat packs from eBay they're relatively cheap and they work well :)

With supplies and what not I charge $20 for two day and $50 for over night

I like USPS a lot but if you have a college campus near you or a mall they usually have shipping stores that tell you the price to ship the item right away while comparing them in speed and price.

I order my heat packs from eBay they're relatively cheap and they work well :)

With supplies and what not I charge $20 for two day and $50 for over night

I like USPS a lot but if you have a college campus near you or a mall they usually have shipping stores that tell you the price to ship the item right away while comparing them in speed and price.

This work? One per box, even if more than one anemone/container? I'm assuming each nem should go in a separate container, in case of the unthinkable.

There's a UPS and a USPS within ten minutes, not sure about FedEx or a shipping store. Thanks for helping me! I've seen your tank/nems around and have been meaning to stop in and say hi(been swamped w/Senior year :P), both are really nice :wub:

Paandemonium

This work? One per box, even if more than one anemone/container? I'm assuming each nem should go in a separate container, in case of the unthinkable.

There's a UPS and a USPS within ten minutes, not sure about FedEx or a shipping store. Thanks for helping me! I've seen your tank/nems around and have been meaning to stop in and say hi(been swamped w/Senior year :P), both are really nice :wub:

Thats the type I use so it should be fine :) And yes you assumed correctly; it's much better to be safe than sorry.

USPS usually has the best deal ;)

Thanks, I'm really trying to get it to where I want it to be :wub:

Thats the type I use so it should be fine :) And yes you assumed correctly; it's much better to be safe than sorry.

USPS usually has the best deal ;)

Thanks, I'm really trying to get it to where I want it to be :wub:

Sorry it took me so long to get back! I decided to take the plunge and ship and I've been super busy with it-and I'm not even actually shipping yet! Thank you so so much for the help :DB):flower:

USPS is really the best deal, which I wasn't expecting, so thanks again :lol::)

Isn't that always the way? But your tank is really nice! Your BTA seems so happy!

Paandemonium

Sorry it took me so long to get back! I decided to take the plunge and ship and I've been super busy with it-and I'm not even actually shipping yet! Thank you so so much for the help :DB):flower:

USPS is really the best deal, which I wasn't expecting, so thanks again :lol::)

Isn't that always the way? But your tank is really nice! Your BTA seems so happy!

I hope your shipping goes well! :)

I hope your shipping goes well! :)

Thanks! I'm pretty confident with your advice :happy:. There was nothing on shipping nems, no older threads! So I was really worried I wouldn't find anyone...I should have posted sooner, lol!

Paandemonium

Thanks! I'm pretty confident with your advice :happy:. There was nothing on shipping nems, no older threads! So I was really worried I wouldn't find anyone...I should have posted sooner, lol!

There really is almost nothing out there as a reference lol I try to help where I can though :)

Call me crazy or dumb, but i swear to you (someone else who knows can back me up) many of the nems that are shipped into the country from overseas are shipped dry. Sorta dry....usually wrapped/covered in newspaper that is soaked.

I asked why that is, and someone told me because nems have a tendency to foul out the holding water and that usually starts to kill them. When shipped in paper, there is no water to foul.

Something else interesting is when they harvest them from the ocean/holding pen they usually let them sit on a table for a few hours to lose water content. Less water in the nem = lighter box = less shipping costs.

I know OP solved there problem, i just thought id share that info..i found it interesting.

That's

Call me crazy or dumb, but i swear to you (someone else who knows can back me up) many of the nems that are shipped into the country from overseas are shipped dry. Sorta dry....usually wrapped/covered in newspaper that is soaked.

I asked why that is, and someone told me because nems have a tendency to foul out the holding water and that usually starts to kill them. When shipped in paper, there is no water to foul.

Something else interesting is when they harvest them from the ocean/holding pen they usually let them sit on a table for a few hours to lose water content. Less water in the nem = lighter box = less shipping costs.

I know OP solved there problem, i just thought id share that info..i found it interesting.

That's really interesting, thank's for sharing! I have a LFS that has a HUGE selection of nems, and you've sparked my curiosity...I might have to ask them how they get theirs in and what they know about this next time I'm in.

That's

That's really interesting, thank's for sharing! I have a LFS that has a HUGE selection of nems, and you've sparked my curiosity...I might have to ask them how they get theirs in and what they know about this next time I'm in.

There answer will depend on if they get them from a wholesaler or if they tranship. Its also not always the case. But the wholesaler i spoke with said he has two or three guys in indo that ship like that...shocked the hell out of him the first time he got in 4 boxes of wet paper and colorful jelly lol.

I doubt a wholesaler in the US ships like that (since everything is under24 hours), but if they use a transhiper its possible...still dont know. It could be a thing thats relegated to the distribution/wholesale side.

There answer will depend on if they get them from a wholesaler or if they tranship. Its also not always the case. But the wholesaler i spoke with said he has two or three guys in indo that ship like that...shocked the hell out of him the first time he got in 4 boxes of wet paper and colorful jelly lol.

I doubt a wholesaler in the US ships like that (since everything is under24 hours), but if they use a transhiper its possible...still dont know. It could be a thing thats relegated to the distribution/wholesale side.

Hmmm. Now I can be specific...:ninja:

Archived