Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shallow³ Pico S II - Now Cycling

llab.yroc

+1, and make sure you get it from a clean source if you get it (Direct from ORA or another breeder, for example); Chaeto can hide some real nasty hitchikers.

Ya I learned that lesson the hard way. About a year ago I bought some off a guy on here who runs big tank that runs w/o water changes.. Or at least it did.. And the big ball I got was super full of atapsia, bristle worms, and all sorts of other bs. I ended up salvaging enough to use in my bc14 but idk if it was worth the hassle. As far as benefits-- at the time I had a fish that actually ate the pods so it came in handy, but idk if I wanna mess with constantly trimming it and so on.. Maybe-- it did seem like that tank was really thriving when it was in.. Unfortunately my "waterproof" fuge light was not so waterproof after all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hWY097x.jpg

Found a little algae kicking around today, there is a little sun shine-thru from the window above the tank in the morning hours that may be causing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to find some time yesterday to install my ATO, and AI controller so why not do a bit of a tank update right? I am still fiddling a bit with the lights to find out exactly what I like best but as of now, its set on the Philippines regional timer with a 3 hour ramp at 20/30/30, lunar cycle, and weather at random 40%. As for the ATO reservoir, I had originally planned on using the basket under the stand to hold some sort of container but instead opted for a 1.5 gallon Rubbermaid cereal container. Its nice and sturdy and having the pour spot w/flip top lid it allows me to fill it w/o removing the lid. The tank seems to be maturing well and has a little bit of green algae on the rocks and such, but no signs of diatoms or anything as of yet. I tested yesterday and was at 0 for trates and trites but there is some ammonia present. I did find a little off shoot of a zoa colony from my other tank floating around about a week ago that was clinched closed, so I decided to throw the 7-8 polyp little ball on one of my rocks and within about 2 hours they opened up and have even seems to get bigger. Im still messing with different return pumps and nozzle positions, trying to get less of a crater effect.. Advice on what others have done or used would be helpful. Also, is everyone with these tank who are also using a Nano w/stock mount, having to remove the light to service the media basket? (Am I missing something, or just dumb?) Monday of this week marked 3 weeks wet.

Anyhow -- without further ado here are some pictures.

BjsMCR0.jpg

bnt1v2t.jpg

br11g3w.jpg

NhKNJ43.jpg

9TSQfnc.jpg

abAJyrt.jpg

7DrhwZJ.jpg

VsYGN2G.jpg

Yes you will have to remove the light to service the media basket unfortunately, that is why I hung mine when I had it. Tank is really looking great man!

I thought I'd share a pic of my cap in my Biocube 14, I have pretty much abandoned the thread for that tank, as I kinda let it go and just stopped messing with it as much as I was. This thing has probably tripled or quadrupled in size in the last 10 months or so.. Its taking over!

qysRPWx.jpg

This was it almost 1 year ago

Kt4lwgf.jpg

No, I honestly love the look of the coral -- But as of now I am going to try and focus more on soft stuff in this system. This cap really is demanding as far as dosing goes to keep levels on point, and I don't want to let the cap dominate this one. I did however give up on trying to avoid adding an Mp10 to the picO. I was having trouble before with the return blowing sand too much, so I added just one more single piece of loc-line to the spout, and it fixed the issue and in turn allowed me to accept that I may need more flow. I have 2 already running on 2 other systems, but I decided I may as well start all new with equipment in this tank so I purchased my 3rd Mp10 and shallow shield, and suspect it should be here by Monday at the latest. I'm still considering a mesh top, but I love the look of topless..

No, I honestly love the look of the coral -- But as of now I am going to try and focus more on soft stuff in this system. This cap really is demanding as far as dosing goes to keep levels on point, and I don't want to let the cap dominate this one. I did however give up on trying to avoid adding an Mp10 to the picO. I was having trouble before with the return blowing sand too much, so I added just one more single piece of loc-line to the spout, and it fixed the issue and in turn allowed me to accept that I may need more flow. I have 2 already running on 2 other systems, but I decided I may as well start all new with equipment in this tank so I purchased my 3rd Mp10 and shallow shield, and suspect it should be here by Monday at the latest. I'm still considering a mesh top, but I love the look of topless..

Yeah I can see that that cap might suck up some cal haha on my IIIs I have my mp10 max at like 40-50% and the flow is just perfect, I'd be nice to have no powerheads in the display but is rather have more flow.

Acropora793

I thought I'd share a pic of my cap in my Biocube 14, I have pretty much abandoned the thread for that tank, as I kinda let it go and just stopped messing with it as much as I was. This thing has probably tripled or quadrupled in size in the last 10 months or so.. Its taking over!

qysRPWx.jpg

This was it almost 1 year ago

It's starting to grow into the return!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well.. Its been a little while since I have updated.. And that's because this cycle is really taking its sweet time. I said from the beginning it would be a couple months before I put anything into this tank, but the wait is killing me. I did my first water change about a week ago, and have been keeping a close eye lately as I have finally had a bit of a diatom bloom, and A LOT of green hair algae growth. I am awaiting a package of CPE and purigen, and once I get everything in place I plan on grabbing a CUC, but I'm not sure what to throw in there as far as snalis and such, and what would be best for all the green hair in such a small tank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Go with reefcleaners for your Cuc, you can either get a package or select individual ones. Word of warning though, he sends alot of extras....

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived