Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do I get a Valentini Puffer out of my tank?

Pragmatic Lemur

Pragmatic Lemur

I need to get my Valentini Puffer out of my tank. It belongs to a friend of mine. I built a reef tank so far with him in there, but it is time for him to go now as he is starting to peck at my turbo snails. I think he ate my starfish too. I need to get him out as soon as possible so that I dont loose anything else. Please help.

Yes, a big zip-lock. Put it in the tank and hold it open and wait. Puffers are curious. He'll eventually swim in there and then just scoop him out. You can also use a wooden dow rod to "encourage" him to swim into the bag. They're not difficult to catch. We catch them in the gulf all the time.

Pragmatic Lemur

I got hmi out finally....I ended up having to net him. I did it well though, I went very slow, the transfer was fast so that he wasnt out of the water more than 1/2 of a second. My reef tank can flourish now yippee!:)

Why aren't yuou supposed to net puffers? I could see avoiding a net with a porcupine or burrfish, but why would it matter with a sharpnose?

don.earnest

In addition to blowing up in self-defense, they also release toxins. Since a net is porous, the toxins are released into the tank.

Archived