Pod Your Reef

What is this growing on the wall of my sump? PICS INCLUDED!

Smokin-Reefer

Smokin-Reefer

When i was adding some rubble to my sump (til I get inline fuge done), I noticed a patch of these things growing on the glass, They dislodged easily, it was kind of an accident! I wasn't wearing gloves but now that I see what they are, I kinda wish i would have. One one end they are "sharper" than the other. In the second picture, They are on top of a gallon milk cap. Any ideas? Should I ask Dr. Ron at RC?

kraphtymac

I'm not sure what they are, but I do know that I had some hitchhike on a piece of live rock, and two days later, several were in my star polyps. After noting that all of the polyps were closed in the vicinity of the unknown organism, I plucked them out with plastic tweezers, and have not seen any since. The polyps have since recovered.

I had exact same things, I think they are sponges. I removed them and so far about 1 month later, they have not returned.

Smokin-Reefer

thanks all for the replies, I was really nervous about what it could have been, now I'm off to research these things!

Dr. Saltwater

Smokin-Reefer,

in my opinion those are Squirts! Squirst are filter-feeders and they only grow in your tank if your water is clean. They aren't dangerous so you can just let them grow.

I don't like to guess but I think it's a Polycarpa sp..

Dr. Saltwater

Reefmaniac

They are Scypha sponges. Sea Squirts (aka, Tunicates) are going to appear more fleshy and won't have the little "skirts" growing around the mouth like those do.

BTW, the sponges are harmless, and a sign that your water quality is OK.

birdman204
Originally posted by just dave

Looks like the Urn Sponge / Sycon proliferates.

DING DING DING, we have a winner...

they kinda look like little pineapples huh.

birdman204
Originally posted by Reefmaniac

They are Scypha sponges.  Sea Squirts (aka, Tunicates) are going to appear more fleshy and won't have the little "skirts" growing around the mouth like those do.  

BTW, the sponges are harmless, and a sign that your water quality is OK.

another winner....

Some actually try to increase their populations in cryptic filters. I suggest using LR rubble in the overflow to give them more area to grow.

BlackSumbel

Q-tip sponges.... they exists in the thousands in my HOB filters/refugiums. They don't hurt anything, but they're very prickly. Not pleasant to stick your hand in a pile of those guys...

Archived