Coral Vue Hydros

want beginner camera budget about 1000

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

Tell me where to go and what to buy. I am beginner photographer. My last camera was a digital Canon about 250 bucks 5 years ago. I have read up on some of the nikon and cannon products.

My interests are aquarium photography and outdoor nature photography (flowers and naturalist type photos, occassional bird shots). I would like to capture at some point action shots of my daughter in sports.

Suggestions Please for body only and or lens combo. Thanks!!

Spend $400 on a camera body and $600 on a lens.

This is a good and recent thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323722-canon-t4i-practice-phase/

The types of photos you want to take are very different. For your aquarium and flower shots you want a macro lens. For action shots and sports you're going to want a telephoto lens with a fast aperture. If these are going to be indoor action shots the faster the aperture the better.

kriskristofferzen

I just looked that thread, thanks! I was already thinking a refurbished 60d. Or a 5200 new. It would cost a little more but I could use the the rest and save and then get a different lens. So what would you recommend for a macro lens that would not break the bank? under 600 dollars?

I am really liking my t4i with kit lens and the 50 1.8. A good bang for your buck setup in my opinion. I scored the t4i and kit lens for 580. I have seen rumor of that price (or better) resurfacing when the t5i ships (which I believe is soonish?).

For sure look at the POTN, and Fredmiranda (google these and sign up) for sale sections too. Lots of nice folks and cheap prices

For a lens, do not feel you have to purchase new. There is a lot of used glass out there that you can get for a reduced price. I picked up my macro lens for 1/2 the price of new in perfect condition. Good luck in the search!

For an all around kit that offers the best image quality for the price as well as diversity to have what you want when you want it I would suggest a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and a canon 100mm f2.8 macro. I bought both of these used earlier this year for $350 each. That leaves $300 in the budget for a body. I myself, would put image quality ahead of camera performance.

kriskristofferzen

Hmmmm, great ideas! thanks all! I am looking at a bundle kit from costco...the Nikon d3200 with both macro and telescoping lens for 779 plus free shipping...It is 18-55 and a 55-200 lens with some instructional stuff, nylon bag, 16gb card, and mobile adapter.... Thoughts? Thanks for the input. I like the option for the red. It is cool looking (yes shallow but who cares). Spring has sprung in Pa, and magnolias and flowers are starting to bloom. Going to be nice really soon so I want to get out there and practice. If any other ideas please share.

Thanks!

Kris

kriskristofferzen

Well now I've gone all crazy and started looking at Adorama. Now looking at possibly a refurb cannon 60d with extended warranty with a 18-200 lens, I might also look for a used macro on the site for under 300 I might go over budget but think ill be happy. Any 60d users out there?

The 60D is a far better camera than the 3200 as far as usability and imagine the image quality is a good bump as well. The thing is, it's an older body. There is likely an update coming soon. The t4i is said to match it in IQ but lacks a couple quick setting change features. Refurb is surely a good option, but I would be patient and wait for a deal to pop up, with the t5i coming, someone will be discounting a t4i or 60d. More likely, you'll find a used body-only for a great price on a FS thread from someone who has to have the newest little update.

There's a couple t3i's up right now under 400 that you'd probably be thrilled with as well. Spend the other 600 on lenses.

Regardless of which body you get, its the lens that will make the difference. Do some research on which lens you really want? In the beginning I purchased the standard telephoto lens like the 18-200 but ended up selling them to get the L-series lens 24-105. The L-series lens are more expensive but there is a big difference in picture quality. In the end you are spending more but you are actually saving. I had to take a hit when I sold my standard lens and purchase the L-series lens.

kriskristofferzen

Well found a good deal on return 60d will most likely purchase a warranty as well to extend to 2 years. Looking at buying the body only from them and a 60mm efs for under 400 on amazon (about 75 bucks cheaper than on a adorama). What other items would be useful to get as well? Do I need a uv filter for outdoor shots?

Thanks all!!!

Oops meant on a refurbished 60d from adorama. After looking at the warranty I can't justify spending on a new one, I like the lens what do you all think?

If I were recommending a kit for tank, land scape, and flowers, I'd recommend the following:

T4i w/ 18-55mm kit lens (600$)

50mm F/1.8 for depth of field shots (100$)

Quality tripod (150-200$)

Decent cheap bag to keep it all in (30$)

Then I'd start saving for the EF 100M F/2.8 (non-L) lens. There is no point in buying a macro though if you don't have a decent tripod. If the tripod blows in the wind, or if the tripod shakes when the mirror moves, then it doesn't matter if you spent 10K on the body and 10K on the lens, you aren't going to get clear shots.

When working with a macro lens and corals, if you want the whole coral in focus, you will be talking 1-30 second exposure times. The general rule of thumb is 1/focal length is what you can hand hold, or 1/100th of a second.

I just made a post in that other thread in this subforum about macro lens you might should read.

kriskristofferzen

If I were recommending a kit for tank, land scape, and flowers, I'd recommend the following:

T4i w/ 18-55mm kit lens (600$)

50mm F/1.8 for depth of field shots (100$)

Quality tripod (150-200$)

Decent cheap bag to keep it all in (30$)

Then I'd start saving for the EF 100M F/2.8 (non-L) lens. There is no point in buying a macro though if you don't have a decent tripod. If the tripod blows in the wind, or if the tripod shakes when the mirror moves, then it doesn't matter if you spent 10K on the body and 10K on the lens, you aren't going to get clear shots.

When working with a macro lens and corals, if you want the whole coral in focus, you will be talking 1-30 second exposure times. The general rule of thumb is 1/focal length is what you can hand hold, or 1/100th of a second.

I just made a post in that other thread in this subforum about macro lens you might should read.

Sweet thanks! Well, I am still cruising. I found that the body only 60d has come down another 100 bucks. So now, the price between the refurb and the new is a little over 100 bucks. I think that is my choice for now. That EF 100mm is sweet! the L lens look pretty crazy but too much money right now. Good idea for the tripod, I'll look into it and the bag you posted :) I'll be sure to check out the other posted thread as well.

Archived