SaltCritters.com

DIY Coral

ajroahkni

Has anyone here gone out and got their own corals? (i.e., Jump in the ocean and come home w/ it.)

Okay, obviously if you're in an area outside of the tropics, you wouldn't be able to, but I was a just wondering. . .

johnrags1234

Yep i do it all the time, my dad lives in florida north of the keys and there are these rock jetties that have been there forever and all sorts of cool things hang out there. I dont dive in and get them though. I wait for low tide when theyre an inch or too below the surface then i get them. Since my tank is not up yet i return them, But they always cool to look at for a while.Fl. law prohibits collection of stony coral w/o a liscence so its mostly just octocorals,which reatach to the rocks really quick. there is also damsels,angels,snails,crabs,and anenomes,when i was there for easter a big ass shark swam right by! Ive even heard that their is coral all the way up around tampa and in south carolina

Ajaro... Perhaps Im not reading your location correctly (Hawaii) but Im sorry to inform U that keeping Reef tanks on ANY island on Hawaii AFAIK is Illegal as is unlicenced collection of ANYTHING. DONT get caught...:

Ajaro... Perhaps Im not reading your location correctly (Hawaii) but Im sorry to inform U that keeping Reef tanks on ANY island on Hawaii AFAIK is Illegal as is unlicenced collection of ANYTHING. DONT get caught...

For the record, if any HI DLNR/DAR officials/regulators are evesdropping, I will not take any coral, rock, fish, sand, water, or power compact bulbs from the ocean for my nano-reef.:P

Did some research on Hawaii Revised Statutes. . . apparently, it is unlawful to harvest any stony corals from Haw'n waters. Also, did you know that it is unlawful to SELL certain species of coral in HI, including Sun and Mushroom corals, regardless of origin? Zowie!

However, it's okay to have a reef tank, I think. There's a few LFSs in Oahu (the island of Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii 5-0 and Magnum PI fame) that sell soft corals, so must be. If I'm wrong, and I have a stroke of bad luck, the fine is $1000 and 30 days in jail, along w/ $1000 for each restricted coral.X)

Anyway, thanks for the head's-up Dave. See, told you guys; that DaveESPI knows everything.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the DLNR are not our friends... they used to bust our parties at A.D.'s in Hawaii Kai with guns drawn... so I don't want to know what they'll do with an evil coral-collector...

Archived