Coral Vue Hydros

Tips for Ricordea Care

reefer7

Hello fellow reefers, I have recently acquired several Ricordea frags: FL Orange, FL Purple/Blue, FL Green/Maroon, and on frag is a Pacific Lime Green.

I recently discovered that it is possible to feed the Ricordea small bits of food. For those of you that keep Rics, what food would you recommend? Any tips on how to feed would be great too.

Also, I am considering the addition of an Iodine supplement to my tank. My reef is currently made up of only soft corals: Zoos, Mushrooms and Ricordea.

Any suggestions on a particular brand of Iodine supplement or method by which to dose?

MY SETUP:

36 Gallon Bow Front (All-Glass)

38 lbs Fiji LR

Current - Orbit Light( 65w Dual Daylight/ 65w Dual Actinic

/ built in Moon lights) ~I run a 24/7 lighting simulation B)

Prism Protien Skimmer

SKILTER 250 (skimmer disabled- used for pre-filter and water movment)

2 Rio 800 Power heads

Rena Cal 100 wat heater

Reefer_Buddha

I use seachems reef iodide and seems to increase my xenia and sarcophyton growth, probably helps shrooms and rics as well. As far as feeding ricordia small bits of food, thats a new one to me. Most of the rics i have and have seen dont need to be hand fed since they are basically just mushrooms. If you want to try then use brine shrimp with a long turkey baster.

You do not need to feed them.

On occasion though I feed mine small pieces of raw coctail shrimp that I keep stored in my freezer. Its cheap and easy and they like it.

fishbabies

mine expand like crazy when i direct feed my sun coral and the extra food starts to spread around. i feed my suns something called d.t.'s phytoplankton. they do not react the same when feeding larger foods to my fish

I have feed mine brine that was soaked with Zoe. Like it was said, if you do target feed, make sure it lands on the mouth. I also feed this to my neon candy canes.

Another food - I use fresh shrimp, flounder, scallops, formula 1, brine, and Zoe blended together until it looks like a paste. The fish and corals will eat this mixture. The fish go nuts for it.

Archived