Top Shelf Aquatics

Confirm ID of Collonista snails please Pics included

eitallent

Whenever I see lots of one thing suddenly show up I get nervous. Good things seldom show up in such quantities.

What do these snails look like to you?

2013-04-04_06-56-16_35_zpsac5efa4a.jpg

2013-04-04_06-52-32_782_zpsd8f81660.jpg

2013-04-04_06-52-55_412_zpsff59cc6a.jpg

2013-04-04_06-54-47_187_zps187dca8a.jpg

Thank you :)

albertthiel

Whenever I see lots of one thing suddenly show up I get nervous. Good things seldom show up in such quantities.

What do these snails look like to you?

2013-04-04_06-56-16_35_zpsac5efa4a.jpg

2013-04-04_06-52-32_782_zpsd8f81660.jpg

2013-04-04_06-52-55_412_zpsff59cc6a.jpg

2013-04-04_06-54-47_187_zps187dca8a.jpg

Thank you :)

How large are they as Collonista tend to be real small and are actually considered reef safe

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/collonista.html

Thing is that they become pests because they tend to multiply so rapidly ... and you seem to have quite a few of them already. I would remove a bunch of them but based on reports they are OK except for becoming so invasive

How large are they as Collonista tend to be real small and are actually considered reef safe

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/collonista.html

Thing is that they become pests because they tend to multiply so rapidly ... and you seem to have quite a few of them already. I would remove a bunch of them but based on reports they are OK except for becoming so invasive

TY Albert.

These are 1/8". You can see them in the first picture next to the tips of a small tweezers. These are some I found in a ball of chaeto I removed from my fuge. They are also in the display tank, glass and rocks. I did search them on google and found Melev's reef page. Still, I wanted confirmation on my ID.

So you do agree that these are Collonistas? If they are I am not too worried about a population explosion. I have plenty for them to eat! ;)

Thanks again.

albertthiel

TY Albert.

These are 1/8". You can see them in the first picture next to the tips of a small tweezers. These are some I found in a ball of chaeto I removed from my fuge. They are also in the display tank, glass and rocks. I did search them on google and found Melev's reef page. Still, I wanted confirmation on my ID.

So you do agree that these are Collonistas? If they are I am not too worried about a population explosion. I have plenty for them to eat! ;)

Thanks again.

Yes being that small and having the spots they are more than likely Collonista but they look like real young yet so they should show more spots as they age but at this point I think you are ok. Just keep an eye on them ... it is always safer to be sure ... and if you get too many I would just keep removing them.

And I guess they came in as HH's ... as that is how they usually get in our tanks. I have not had any but I have plenty of other snails but they are all mini ceriths and the dwarf size so I am not worried about them ...

Yours do not look like any of the ones you would not want ... like Drupella or Sundial.

Yours do not look like any of the ones you would not want ... like Drupella or Sundial.

Well thank goodness! I have my hands full pulling out the nasty pyramidellids from my ceriths and nerites! :excl:

Thanks for your help. :)

albertthiel

Well thank goodness! I have my hands full pulling out the nasty pyramidellids from my ceriths and nerites! :excl:

Thanks for your help. :)

Wonder how you got that many different kinds of snails in your tank but I guess HH's ... like those other HH's you had and found a while ago but that turned out not to be the nasties ...

Albert, some gals have all the luck! ;)

In the chaeto I removed from the fuge I saw a variety of pods, little brittle stars and unidentifiable little blobs and specs! As I find more stuff, and I am sure I will, I will post them. :)

albertthiel

Albert, some gals have all the luck! ;)

In the chaeto I removed from the fuge I saw a variety of pods, little brittle stars and unidentifiable little blobs and specs! As I find more stuff, and I am sure I will, I will post them. :)

Yes that is what it is starting to look like .... and yes do post pics of whatever else you find ... it is always interesting to see and try to ID whatever else seems to end up in our Nanos or Reef tanks ... and Chaeto is of course a great place for all of those oddball ones to hide and grow and multiply ...

I love chaeto but it can be a breeding ground for all sorts of pods and other organisms, but it does serve its purpose ...

Archived