Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

unhappy rics

omayra

Maybe someone can impart some knowledge on rics. I can't seem to find a spot that mine like. I have a 20h, 96watt pc, plenty of lr, a leather, a bunch of zoos of various colors, a torch, a firefish, a wrasse, a cleaner shrimp and a couple of cleaner snails and hermits. Everyone else seems happy.....except for the zoos that were too high up and burned but they've been moved and are recuperating nicely. My calcium was a little low but I've increased my dosage and will have it tested again soon. My water tests mint! I've placed them mid way up and a couple different spots around the tank. No matter where I've put them, they are not laying flat. They are half closed (they look like a funnel). I thought it might be that they are getting too much current but I've tried various current rates and still they funnel up. I don't get it! Any ideas?

fishbabies

how long have they done this? mine seem to pout for weeks before laying flat and hugging the rock. once they get established they can expand their disc like crazy. they aren't usually bothered by high current like regular mushrooms. i direct feed mine with phyto plankton until they settle down

Is it from too much flow? IME rics tend to be happiest towards the bottom of the tank, usually blocked from heavy flow. You might try putting some rocks on one side of them to see if they flatten out. Also, it will take a few days after they have been moved.

They might be struggling to get some light at the same time, are 20h tanks 18"?

Hey folks. I just moved the rics to the bottom of the tank. They get enough movement but aren't getting blown around. I started them there but thought they were stretching for light so I moved them up. The tank is 14 or 15 inches deep. I've spot fed them and am assuming they took food in but didn't see anything that would indicate to me that they were munchin. I also just added another mini pc that brings my light up to 114 watts for a 20g. I do think I over-mother my tank so I'm going to force myself to let them settle there for a bit. Thanks for your thoughts and feel free to keep'em comin.

Archived