Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tank Upgrade / Fish Combo?

Saltwater fan

Saltwater fan

I have recently decided to upgrade my 15 gallon tank to a 37 gallon. As of right now I have 2 true percula clowns with a velvet nudibranch [he cleans my tank].

When finally converting to my new 37 gallon what else could I add? What other fish/living species would be compatible with my already started collection.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out! B)

OK, you need to start reading more..there areso many options you have once going from a nano-reef to a traditional reef, that mean more corals, more fish. It all depend on what type of fish and corals you are planning on keeping. But as of a 37 gallon, i would only put about 7-8 fish maximum..since you already have a pair of clowns, you can add another pair of Bangaii Cardinals, a Lawnmoer Blenny (Yellow gold one if you can find it, theya re great algae grazzer), and maybe a small angel (pygmy or Coral Beauty), or add a few Green/Sargen Chromis...with these fish, you will be able to see them all the time, a six line wrass would be a good choise also, a couple of cleaner shrimps...ahhhh..there are so many possibilities...

:blush:

My personal picks would include a midas or canary blenny and a redheaded fairy or scott's velvet wrasse.

At that size, some of the Dwarf Angels become an option, too. While not 100% reef safe, some of them will usually avoid eating corals if they have sufficient other food. My first pick for a smaller reef would be a Pygmy Angel.

Otherwise, being the clown nut that I am, I'd probably add in another species or two of clowns. I'd love an allardii clown pair.

it is next to impossible to keep anthias alive for more than a couple of months in captivity..well, unless your tank is well established already..and they require larger swim space like the tangs...i love them also, don't get me wrong, but even i wouldn't dare on trying one of those guys yet..hahhaha

Originally posted by MKramer

Otherwise, being the clown nut that I am, I'd probably add in another species or two of clowns.  I'd love an allardii clown pair.

Sorry, but if you have more than one species of clownfish in a tank they'll fight:

"Large non-paired adults generally do fight in all but the largest aquaria. Likewise, mixing species of all but juvenile sizes is chaotic. Keep them in separate systems. To reiterate; aggression can be intense amongst and between species of Anemonefishes." --Bob Fenner, author of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist; from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm ....

gobies,

That statement from Bob speaks in sweeping generalities, with no reference to tank sizes or clown species, and pertaining particularly to unpaired adults. It is 100%, entirely possible to have two pairs of spearate species in a tank. If the parameters are correct, it is even possible for them both to be spawning pairs.

Ocellaris, for example, occupy a very small territory, and show little interest in enforcing territory ownership beyond it. Allard's clowns, like Clark's, do enjoy a slightly larger territory, but show very little aggression in areas away from their home base. In a tank where they can be provided homes a good distance from each other (which can be encouraged with natural host anemones), the two clans will engage in little to no aggressive interaction.

Amusingly, the last person I know to have done such a tank (with ocellaris and clark's), had an unexpected result.... The two species formed a single social unit, with the female being a clark and her male an ocellaris. He's trying to encourage breeding now, which has been recorded in the past as entirely possible between the two species.

Archived