inTank Media Baskets

Aragamilk vs. Kalk

Berliner

What is the difference between aragamilk and kalk? I am under the impression they do the same thing (add calcium and buffer). Is this true?

I use CaribSea aragaMILK. It is a natural way to maintain water conditions in your reef tank. I dont add it directly to the tank but I mix 3 gal of SW and add 6 drops to it. It has helped me to bring my PH up to 8.2 - 8.3. Without it my tank sat around 8.0. I do 2 weekly WC of 3 quarts each. So far I like the product.

Not the same as Kalk.......Kalk is calcium hydroxide. Aragonite is liquidfied calcium carbonate. The probably use some acetic acid or something to increase the solubility of the aragonite.

Dr. Saltwater

Hi,

calcium (Ca) is 'stored' in the skeleton of Corals as Calciumcarbon in the Aragonite-shaped (Kristalshaped). Calcite, which is easier to dissolve, isn't taken by Corals in their skeleton.

Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) should be added very carfuly because it can change you waterparameters very quick!

--------------------

Ca(OH)2 [calcium hydroxide] + H2O [water] -> (Ca++) [calcium ions]+ 2OH- [hydroxide ions] + H2O

If there is Co2 in the water:

(Ca++) + (2OH-) + CO2 -> (Ca++) + (CO3--) [carbon ions]+ H2O

The next reaction with the new calcium-ions:

(Ca++) + (CO3--) -> CaCO3 [calcium carbonaat]

--------------------

Nowadays people use a lot of methods to keep their Calcium and other related parameters on the right level.

Dr. Saltwater

i thought calcite was more difficult to dissolve than aragonite. i agree the crystalline format doesn't make it 'attractive' for bio-use but i always thought it was more stable (less soluable) because of that same attribute.

i used aragamilk/aragamight in the past it was totally useless in fact it lowered my ca/alk. It doesnt dissolve right and actually creates a situation for other ca ions to adhere to it and then fall out of solution. Read up on this stuff through www.advancedaquarist.com and randy holmes farely articles. he can explain it much better then i can.

• 2 weeks later...

DON'T USE ANY OF THAT GARBAGE. YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY.

DO A 10% WATER CHANGE A WEEKEND AND REAP THE REWARDS.BE SURE YOUR WATER TEMPS MATCH.

Archived