SaltCritters.com

DIY super duper nano

Gomer

They don't need as much heatsinking as I have, but they do need it. i just like to run them cool. The junction has to remain below 105°C max. I am probably 1/2 that.

The color (temp) is dependent on the bin of the LED's I have some that have a slightly blue tint and some with a slightly green tint...ever so slight. Compared to all the various NO/PC bulbs I have (8 different ones), these are the "purest" white I have seen.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

thats cool i guess for the coloration of fish and corals... personaly i like a little more blue than white light... just my opinion... so how much do these 1-watt led's run.. and are those ballasts? what are they rated for?

you can just add in a blue LED then :)

There are various ballasts with different ratings. My DIY one is good for about 6x5watt LEDs. the white ballast is good for 8x1watt LEDs. The black ones are good for 12x1watt or 6x3watt iirc. There are much bigger ballasts in the makings right now.

The LEDs are not cheap.

here is a site to check on pricing

www.luxeonstar.com

tossed some water in the tank. An anubias nana for color. A little printer paper for backing.

bask in the shimmering glory!

nanolit.jpg

kraphtymac

They're not cheap, but damn they are clean and emit a nice spectrum. Clean work... good job. I'd love to see you get creative with placement/hood and base with this beast.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i just got back from a new fish store (to me anyway) and they had a 2 gal tank with one of those AZOO 13 watt clamp on lights and this tiny powerhead... it had muchrooms, polyps,a nd some other cool stuff...

If the AZOO you are thinking of is the Galaxy be careful how you mount it, the clip is metal. Mount it on something above the tank instead of on the tank.

Also, I saw Waterb0y wrote that the Red Sea Deco Art tank had a 5W PC, it actually has a 7200K 7W PC. Just a note for those really technical people. I'm swapping mine out for a 13W 50/50 retro w/ a cutsom built stand/canopy. Might consider Luxeon Stars instead. Anyone recommend how many watts I should use?

Originally posted by The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Possible lighting fixture... Very cheap... i'm going to buy it when i build my pico-reef... i'll probably build the tank around the size of the fixture...

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F5...9/Itemdy00.aspx

I have one of these 18w fixtures (Salt water version, with 10k/03 Actinic) over top of my fuge. (AC 300) It's clean, so far runs great and have had awesome macro growth in it, I have to trim it up once a month. I would recommend it definitly, and the great part is it fits perfectly over top a 2.5g, so that may be a fun project under $100. I was going to do it then got a 29g....go figure.

Archived