Coral Vue Hydros

Angelfish might have HLLE?

Laney

A few days ago, I noticed that my bi-colored angelfish had on her what appeared at the time, to be scrapes (as though she'd gotten too close to a rock maybe, and scratched herself) so I've been keeping a close eye on her since then.

Well, new developments show that where the cut was, there is another cut (but smaller) on the other side of her body, in the exact same place, following the exact same line. It starts near her eye, and curves upwards towards her back, but slightly below it. Since I first saw the scrape, its gone completely white, and chunky. The chunks come out about a millimetre from her little body. All around the area has also completely paled, and gone close to white.

Tonight I also caught her swimming up to a rock, and pressing herself against it with her face, before shivering violently whilst pressed against the rock. Then she'd dart away, as though frightened, and hide somewhere.

She isn't eating as much and spends most of her time hiding, which is different from her normal personality. Usually she's a piggie, who is totally in your face when you visit her.

I have tried to get a decent photo, but its difficult, as I'm not good with a camera... but here it is:

Angie%20009-2.jpg .... Zoo%20011.jpg .... Zoo%20015.jpg

The first picture of just the head was taken on the Saturday night, the other two were on Monday night...

I know it looks really bad, but I don't know what the problem is... I thought maybe HLLE, but I'm not sure, because of the white lumps.

Can anyone help???

looks like HLLE with some other scratches. as far as treating the HLLE feed as varied a diet as possible including lots of vegetable matter and a good marine multivitamin. ground the tank with a rid-volt to prevent any possible charge from entering the tank. i have several customers who swear by the Marine-C by kent for HLLE, so i would try some of that on top of the multi vitamin. the best method i know of for curing HLLE is the Ecosystem filtration system, if possible id set up a fuge with MM(miracle mud) and chaetomorpha on the tank on top of the other measures. brocolli is also suggested by fenner as being helpful for HLLE, nuke it for about 30 seconds and cool it off in some cold water before feeding to soften the food up. it may take a few tries before the fish will take to the brocolli but keep at itfor about a week, and always remove any excess food from the tank after feeding time, id wait an hour or two before removing any veggie matter to give the fish time to graze.

I'm in Australia, so as far as the following goes: no idea....

Marine-C by kent

Ecosystem filtration system

fuge with MM(miracle mud) and chaetomorpha

Also, this tank is a 5 gallon Via Aqua AR type tank... without modifying the tank a whole lot, there is no way I can attach a fuge to it.

Also, how am I supposed to feed any of these things to the Angel when she's not eating much at all! In the past few days, I've seen her eat maybe 4 or 5 marine fish flakes, and thats about it. She spends more time hiding behind her rock and refusing to come out when I feed her. I've even sat on a chair on the other side of the room so as not to bother her, but she just ignores the food as it goes rushing by her! Most of it ends up getting sucked into the little top filtration unit.

:*(

I honestly hope I can help her, but I don't know. Half of those things you mentioned, I don't even know what they are, and the dietary side of things, the fish isn't eating... So mostly I'm at a loss.

I've been told by someone else that HLLE can also be caused by water conditions, but I don't even know about that...

:(

hmm, im only familiar with american products. MM is available internationally, you could modify a small powerfilter into a refugium, plenty of info on that in the DIY forums. just about any marine fish vitamin supplement will be better than nothing and supply extra vitamin C. excellent water quality will also help, and is probably the easiest and best place to start. i would also try some live foods to initiate a feeding response mysid shrimp or brine work well.

I have been dosing her with a product called Melafix, which seems to be actually working on some of the problem!

She's still not eating as much, she will only eat food if its in little tiny pieces...

But the problem seems to be clearing up...

melafix is great stuff, very effective. try using a garlic attractant to entice the fish to eat, and remember to feed a varied diet.

Archived