Innovative Marine Aquariums

Canon Powershot vs Nikon

Steventomas

Steventomas

Ive been looking for a camera to get better pictures than what i am getting out of the iPhone 5...

I've narrowed it down to the canon powershot SX500 IS or the Nikon Coolpix L820.

Which camera do you think is better? I want to be able to get good detail of my reef in the photos, but i know that i wont get professional dSLR photos but hopefully better than the iPhone.

Which one would you go with?

Here are links to both.

Canon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Wide-Angle-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B00908BMVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364756845&sr=1-1&keywords=cannon+sx500

Nikon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B00B7N9CWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364756824&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+l820

I'm a canon person myself but in this case, I would go with the nikon. It's got double the ISO and a wider aperture. With everything else that matters being the same on both cameras, the Nikon is gonna perform better in lower light. I still don't know if I would consider the performance to be something that would make you happy to take reef shots with if that is your only real reason to have the camera.

I don't know anything about those cameras. I just went through a DSLR hunt my self. While I understand the newest entry DSLR is out of your price range, you might have a look at some of the slightly older models like this one at ~300$ w/ the EF-S 18-55mm which gives a very nice .34X max magnification at close distances. I don't know what the max mag of those others is, but it's something you'll probably care about and should pay attention to.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5938850-Refurbished-CanonT2i-EF-S-18-55mm-IS-Lens-Kit-for-335-99-or-313-59-Free-Canon-Gadget-Bag-200DG-via-CLP-tax-Free-Shipping-Canon-Direct

It's also a DSLR which will give you upgrade options (like a macro lens for true 1:1) in the future.

Steventomas

I don't know anything about those cameras. I just went through a DSLR hunt my self. While I understand the newest entry DSLR is out of your price range, you might have a look at some of the slightly older models like this one at ~300$ w/ the EF-S 18-55mm which gives a very nice .34X max magnification at close distances. I don't know what the max mag of those others is, but it's something you'll probably care about and should pay attention to.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5938850-Refurbished-CanonT2i-EF-S-18-55mm-IS-Lens-Kit-for-335-99-or-313-59-Free-Canon-Gadget-Bag-200DG-via-CLP-tax-Free-Shipping-Canon-Direct

It's also a DSLR which will give you upgrade options (like a macro lens for true 1:1) in the future.

Thanks!

Im going to order the T2i. It is a refurbished model and they say warranty is only 90 days. I've never had a nice camera like this so i dont know what problems, if any usually come up. Do you think it is a safe bet to buy it? The camera and lens kit is $335.99

The sale ends in 30minutes :scarry: so if you could get back to me that would be much appreciated. thanks again!

Sorry I had gone to be shortly after that post. It's low odds you'll have anything to worry about on the model after 90 days. Most of those cameras live many, many years with shutter counts around 200,000 before they start having problems. For reference, my parents have a T1i that I've been shooting with lately and the shutter count is under 10K.

Steventomas

Sorry I had gone to be shortly after that post. It's low odds you'll have anything to worry about on the model after 90 days. Most of those cameras live many, many years with shutter counts around 200,000 before they start having problems. For reference, my parents have a T1i that I've been shooting with lately and the shutter count is under 10K.

Thanks again for your advise on the camera. It came yesterday and just playing around with it, it is taking great shots, now i just need to learn it some more so it can get even better shots. I want to pick up the 50mm f/2.8 compact macro, the 40mm f/2.8 and maybe the 100mm f/2.8 macro down the road.

I shot this one this morning just playing with aperture and bokeh a little

IMG_0308_zpsaf555b64.jpg

Can't see the picture from work, but I will make comments on the others.

As far as the 50mm vs 100mm macro goes, the 50mm is not a "true" 1:1 macro, it is a 2:1 macro (half the mag of a 1:1). The EF-S 60mm macro is a true macro at a lower cost point than the 100mm macro. Now as to compare those two, the minimum focus distance of a 100mm will be much farther away from the end of the lens vs the 60mm macro. The result is being able to get more magification "deeper" away from the front glass of your aquarium. If you've got a 6" deep pico this will be very different than if you have a 40B in how useful that will be. But something to keep in mind when selecting a lens. If I could afford it, I would have gone with the 180mm macro for that reason (the better effective bokah isn't bad either!)

The focal length also has a significant contribution to bokah. Here's an example picture from a review site (http://www.the-digital-picture.com) visually showing the difference. I've found that site has solid reviews and compares lens of the same class (price and function) objectively without the "you should really mortgage your house to buy lens and anything less than a 10K camera is "junk"

Focal-Length-Background-Blur.jpg

You might also consider the 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) if you are looking for a fast prime. The 50mm 1.8 can be had for around 75$ used or ~100$ new and is a bit faster than the 40m 2.8. I ultimately went with the 1.4 because I wanted a REALLY fast lens for low light.

The difference between the 50mm macro and the 40mm is next to nothing. To buy both of them would be an extremely poor choice. It would essentually be the same as buying two of the same lens. The only difference being a 10mm focal length.

the 50mm is the worst of the macros. you have to be close and you only get a 1:2 ratio. later down the line if you bought a 100mm macro, it would make the 50mm macro beyond obsolete for any type of macro work leaving it only usefull as a portrait lens. For the money, you will be kicking yourself for not buying a much better option such as the 50mm 1.4.

You do not want to get multiple lenses that are all the same focal length. One of the best and most solid lens collections you can possibly have for a Crop sensor is the:

-17-55mm f2.8

- 70-200mm f2.8L.

Those two lenses alone will give you everything you need. You could add in a few specialty lenses to really maximize the collection.

These being lenses such as the

-10-22mm if you want to get ultra wide angle perspective.

-50mm f1.4 for a great all around lens that will work with the minimum amount of light.

-60mm f2.8 macro for when you want a macro lens that is also usefull for a portrait lens

-100mm macro because you are serious about macros and want to leave the 60mm for those who are not.

None of these lenses are needed and will likely seldom be used if you have the two main lenses above. I would most suggest the 100mm macro because it is a prime lens, very sharp image quality, great for macros and an excellent telephoto lens to go with since it is much cheaper than the 70-200mm f2.8.

Steventomas

Big thank you to both of you!!

Veng you bring up a good point, I think for the money the 100mm is going to be the way to go for me. Thank you!

And Bishop, while im not quite ready to spend $3000 in lenses for my first camera i appreciate what you have pointed out and wont waste money on buying the same lens twice, thank you! I will however pick up the 100mm macro for its ability to double as a telephoto.

Thanks again

I always carry a camera with me. Typically it is the canon t3 with a 50mm f1.8 lens. Small, lightwieght, and gets some of the best images. I absolutely hate the 50 1.8 for it's cheap trashy construction but when it comes to image quality, this lens goes a very long way. It is the most recommended lens on the market.

Archived