Top Shelf Aquatics

Looking At My First Fish EVER!

Kingy2

Im a begginer and im starting to reseach my first fish, can these be kept together? i havnt got the tank but its either gonna be 3-4foot tank (20-40gals UK)

1 Powder Blue Tang - Acanthurus leucosternon 1 Blenny

2 Purple Firefish - Nemateleotris decora

2 Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus

1 Yellow Tang - Zebrasoma flavescens (love this one)

1 Clown Trigger

maybe 1 clown

invertebrates:

Scarlet Hermit Crabs

Fire Shrimps - Lysmata debelius

some sort of snail and maybe a clam

how does all that sound? can they live together?

You need to get "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michaels. All the info here is from that book. (and I only do this once per customer. :|)

> 1 Powder Blue Tang - Acanthurus leucosternon

Ease of keeping, on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high): 3.

These fish are ich magnets. Minimum aquarium size: 100g. "It is extremely hostile toward other surgeonfishes [tangs]...."

> 1 Blenny

Which type?

> 2 Purple Firefish - Nemateleotris decora

Ease of keeping, on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high): 5.

Minimum aquarium size: 20g. "...should be housed singly or in male-female pairs."

> 2 Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus

Ease of keeping, on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high): 3.

These fish are ich magnets, too, and is "very susceptible to lateral line and fin erosion." Minimum aquarium size: 100g. "Adults will quarrel...."

> 1 Yellow Tang - Zebrasoma flavescens (love this one)

Ease of keeping, on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high): 4.

Minimum aquarium size: 75g. "Can be very aggressive once established, especially in a smaller tank. ... Keep only one, except in large tanks [135g or larger]...."

> 1 Clown Trigger

Ease of keeping, on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high): 3-5 (age dependent). Reef Aquarium Compatibility: Not suitable.

Minimum aquarium size: 135g. "Sadly, some manifest a Jekyll and Hyde personality: amiable for many months, then suddenly turning nasty -- nipping and even killing their tankmates."

> maybe 1 clown

Which type?

Start researching....

If you're thinking of keeping all those fish in a 20-40 gallon together, you will have problems. Start out with 1 fish. See what effects it has on the tank, and get to know what its like. Better yet, get a goldfish in a small bowl and see how much of a mess it makes of the water. That will give you a better idea of how many fish you can keep in one tank.

Archived