Pod Your Reef

Either I got a pic of my turbinaria dropping a duce or the money shot.

B16A2NR

I was checking out my tank today and realized that my Pagoda Coral Turbinaria peltata was acting kinda funny, each individual polyp opened up its mouth/ass and was shooting little brown balls out of its oral/anal cavity. I don't think it was stressed because my water parameters are rock solid. The clown fishe loved eat the balls when they shot off. It wasn't any rapid fire sucession, but each polyp was able to shoot off about 1 every minute for what I viewed was 20 minutes. Heres a pic, the bottom right polyp was shooting one off. I may have a pretty sick mind, but this thread sounds funny to read. Can anyone tell me if they've witnessed anything like this and if its taking a dump or releasing eggs?

...or expelling zooxanthellae. depending on what other corals you have in the tank you could be having chemical warfare which may be causing the start of bleaching. it could also be light involved. evenif the water "checks out perfect" there are so many parameters we cant or dont check or even know that exist that it is impossible to have perfect water. also has there been a temperature increase in the tank, this has been shown to induce bleaching in many types of coral and is hard to detect without a digital thermometer. strips type therms are too inaccurate.

I would think the first signs of stress turbin's show are mucus shedding which hasn't happened. Have you had a turbinaria before? They are one of the hardier corals to keep, I would expect my clam to show signs of stress before the turbin does. What I mean by steady parameters is No temp increase, same bi-weekly waterchange schedule, auto top off dripping the same level of kalk I always have. No new introductions of any kind. And no signs of coral bleaching. What color are the gametes that corals typically release?

Mad Nanite

My guess would be that it's spawning, not nessecarily releasing eggs, but little packets of egg or sperm cells. I've never seen it in a captive reef but I've heard of it happening. I'm not surprised your clown likes them either, on the wild reef most of the packets get eaten before they find a conjugate gamete. I don't know exactly what effects it could have on the tankmates or water conditions, but I wouldn't let too many of them sit around. That's pretty interesting though.

admittedly never kept a turbinaria before, and i would definitely expect the clam to go belly up befoer the turbinaria. i was just presenting another option that could be possible.

That looks a lot like some zoos I had that were releasing zooxanthelle, no mucus, just releasing the brown like pictured.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived