ReefCleaners.org

little eye, big eye

FavaBean

hello everyone I came home from work today and noticed that my sebae clown has one eye larger than the other one. Should I be worried or is this natural?

could be popeye. at least thats what it is most commonly called. you need to get the clown into a QT and treat with some antibiotics if that is indeed what you have, i believe maracyn or furacyn are the ones for popeye. you can get them at most petco's. how much larger is the eye than the other, and is it cloudy?

it is pretty much bigger and yesterday it was not cloudy have to wait to see it when the lights come on the clown sleeps in the back of the tank if i go and buy the antibiotics can i just treat it in the 29 with my live rock and live sand? all i have is two damsels and the cleaning crew just turbo snails and hermit crabs

do not treat with any medications in the display tank. most medications are toxic to LR and most invertebrates, some claim to be reef safe, but with few exceptions they either dont work, or are not reef safe. a good QT setup especially in TX where you wont need a heater will cost you about 30-40 dollars all you need is an AGA 10g and a small power filter or powerhead with sponge prefilter, make sure pH and SG are same from tank to tank to avoid any potential problems, and acclimate the fish slowly before quarantine.

i know not having a QT is bad i do not have one. so what should i do. should i see what happens if i do not treat the fish what will end up happening? will my damsels get it?

its usually not contagious, but it is indicative of poor water quality most of the time, and it is potentially fatal if untreated. at this point i would worry more about saving the clown instead of the damsels, as it will cost almost as much money to replace him as to save him. do a thorough check into your water quality and maybe it will go away on its own if any issues are corrected. again a QT is cheap and there is no good reason not to have one even for a nano.

I went yesterday to the lfs and they said my water was good only salt was a little low. Hopefully it will go away I do need a qt but the maintank is at my sisters I would like to get more colorful fish buttttttttt the damsels are healthy and I know they won't just end up dieing and the clown was like 15 bucks I hope it just goes away if i keep my water in good shape.

Maracyn will not have a major impact on the tank. It won't affect the nitrifying bacteria (gram +/-) or invertebrates. However, some corals may not appreciate it. My xenia, mushrooms and sacrophyton were fine, but the calustrea closed up for about a week, then made a full recovery. Hospital tank is definitely the way to go, but if its an emergency the Maracyn should be okay.

Do NOT use Furacyn or Maracyn II in the display tank. They will mess things up.

hey tempest thanks i do not have any inverts or any corals just the damsels clown and snails and crabs so nothing really bad but i will go get some of that maracyn and see what it does and let yall know thanks hopefully i can save him before he does die i am thinking about getting a ten gallon aga to set up just a filter live rock and live sand then maybe a powerhead hopefully i will get one set up soon. thanks if you have any other suggestions

ok after four days of treating the eye looks some what better than it was. After five days what are you suppose todo keep on treating or just wait?

yeah I asked the lfs place and they said just to keep on treating it for another five days and then do a water change. I wish my clown did not have this since I saw a nice coral beauty angel. thank you for the advice

i went to petland and looked for maracyn and discovered that it said FRESHWATER.. i cant use this for saltwater can i? tempest? my damsel has a huge white eye an di just did a water change. and i don't have a QT. a;sldkfja;sldkfja;sldkfj, can i t be possible for the eye to just heal without chemical treatment? naturally?

beastium, I was told if you try to let it heal by itself the fish would die. The box that I had maracyn also said freshwater but I did use it you just want to do half of what the instructions say it will work fine may have to do it twice that would be ten days.

thanks bro, i put in about half the required dosage. will the medication hurt the growth of a possible thing growing in my live rock?i dont know what it is but one is branchy and one look like a transparent star. any ideas of what they are? are you SURE i can use the freswater? cuz i put in about 1/4 of a pill (1 pill - 10 gallons) i have a 6 gallon. now the fish with the popeye (yellowtailed damsel) is hovering at the surface... i'm worried.

well as long as you have no corals or anything that doesnt react to copper everything will be fine in my tank i only had the live rock and clean up crew and everything was fine. After you do treat it you should do a water change. I hope everything is fine with your fish keep me updated

The difference betweem Saltwater and Freshwater maracyn is saltwater has B vitamins with it.....that's why SW maracyn turns the water yellow. Both have 220mg of erythromycin.

well i flushed the damsel cuz it was at the point of no return. im going to buy a quarantine tank because my new royal gramma seems to be a bit timid . it might have ick also any suggestions? should i just just water changes? freshwater dips? any easy methods or cheap methods? EFFECTIVE.

the most effective method for treating ich is copper based medications. watch the parameters in the QT and do water changes as needed. one other benefit to using a QT is that the fish will become less timid as time goes on. grammas do tend to be a bit reclusive though

Archived