Cultivated Reef

substrate question.. please help!

babydot637

babydot637

I've been doing a lot of reading about nano reefs before starting to actually set one up (good job me!). Anyways, in the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog I saw this really cool looking black sand (Seaflor special Grade Reef Sand). However, with so many different opinions floating about, such as using aragonite, or crushed coral, or live sand, I was wondering what the best option is. Would it be possible to add a thin layer of live sand underneath a layer of the black sand so that I could get the benefits of using live sand? Or should I just use a different substrate altogether?

Any advice would really help. Thanks!

see acoustics tank: he makes everybody wish they had black sand.

and the black stuff will become live.

Any sand will eventually become "live sand" as bacteria colonizes it. Using live sand to start off with gives your nitrification a bit of a boost at the beginning and can cut down on your initial cycling time. Black sand will work fine... see above posts. Just make sure its meant for saltwater tanks. Avoid large grain or crushed coral as these become detritus traps and nitrate farms. Don't buy 2 different types of sand and expect them to say seperate (sp?) They will mix over time (which isn't a bad thing unless you don't like the way it looks).

CaribSea makes an alive bagged black sand that is awsome looking and would give you the arragonit,live and black that you are looking for

Archived