Cultivated Reef

Lightroom: RAW In-Depth Primer

TheWAND

So there have been a few questions regarding Lightroom and Photoshop, mainly, "which program is right for the average user?" I'm going to address the question here and hopefully give some knowledge regarding the two programs.

First things first, for reef photos and day-to-day use, I choose Lightroom. In this thread, I will only cover Lightroom, because frankly, I only open Photoshop once every few weeks to put together a collage or something of the sort. Lightroom is a photo-management program that has Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) built into it. What does this mean? It means Lightroom will recognize your RAW files and allow you to export them into .jpg files.

The most important thing with staying organized with Lightroom is to keep your files organized. That means keeping RAW files date-filed in a RAW folder, and keeping .jpg's date-filed in a LIVE folder. Here's what I mean.

This is my root "Pictures" folder.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at93143PM_zps02c603c

Because this is such a big project, it gets its own folder. We have the RAW folder for RAW files, and the LIVE folder for pictures that have been exported as .jpg's.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at93223PM_zps6cbd016

This is what "date-filed" means. This is done so you can keep pictures organized easier by date in the same catalog in Lightroom.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at93234PM_zps6c63cd3

Exported .jpg files are given the same treatment in the LIVE folder.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at93244PM_zpscc703e9

So back to Lightroom. How does it work? First, we'll go into the Library screen. The Library screen allows you to choose which folder you will be looking at on the far left of the screen. That list of dates is the different folders I have imported into the program. Lightroom keeps records of both the modified versions of the RAW files as well as the unmodified versions, which is why it is classified as a non-destructive image processor. On the far right is the "Quick Develop" pane, which allows me to apply a saved preset to the entire folder or selected images. This is useful for large projects that have consistent color and lighting situations.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at92142PM_zpsb5f670d

Now that I've chosen the image I want to process, I will move to the Develop screen. This image hasn't been altered yet, and is exactly what the camera sensor saw when the shutter was actuated. On the left, there is the Presets pane, Snapshots pane, History pane, and Collections pane. Presets allows you to change multiple image processing sliders with a single click of the button. They are convenient for giving a consistent look from image to image when doing larger projects. The Snapshots pane is for when you are in the process of processing the image. You can save a Snapshot of the sliders to snap back to for comparison with your current settings. This is convenient for when you are indecisive of the overall look of the image. History allows you to go through each step of the processing in case you have made a mistake somewhere and you cannot figure it out by looking at your sliders on the right of the screen. Normally, I will only have my Presets and History pane expanded. To finish the Lightroom side, I will process this single image and export it.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at94631PM_zpsda6ca01

First step for me always is to select a preset. Here I chose the one highlighted in the picture ("ccea"). It's named after the event I initially used it for, but I've really taken a liking for the look of it. You can see a slight difference in the image now. It looks closer to a finished product!

ScreenShot2013-03-25at95518PM_zpsb38c631

The first problem I saw with the preset is that now the highlights have been blown out in some major details in the picture, mainly on the aluminum milling on the record platform. I'll lower the exposure a tad (which the preset had already boosted 0.95+ stops) and recover the highlights a bit. Once I can see lines, I stop.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at95948PM_zps571190b

From here, I like how the image looks, so I export it. Export shortcut on Mac is (cmd+shift+e), on PC, it is (ctrl+shift+e). This is the main export screen. Here you can choose which folder to export to, image size (I normally export for the web at 2500 pixels long side), and even put in a simple text watermark.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at100159PM_zps616e6a

Pick a folder!

ScreenShot2013-03-25at100352PM_zps3ee2bb

This is the simple watermark screen.

ScreenShot2013-03-25at100529PM_zps64448a

Last, but not least, this is the finished product!

20130318-IMG_5375_zpsfe89d38e.jpg

Archived