Coral Vue Hydros

40B - Concrete Foundations

TheWAND

That concrete top should come out looking awesome.

Check out BuddyRhodes.com. He is a concrete artist with videos showing the whole process of building and pouring countertops as well as a few finishing techniques.

That was a ton of good info on that site. Thanks for the link!

That concrete top should come out looking awesome.

Check out BuddyRhodes.com. He is a concrete artist with videos showing the whole process of building and pouring countertops as well as a few finishing techniques.

I wish i knew how to Post pics of my concrete stands all plumbing is inside the concrete draining to my 210sump gives it a clean look..im following along i love it when peoPle think outside the box.

Found some motivation to get some work done today, here's the new progress.

Prep...

temporary_zps9f69de0c.jpg

...and pour!

temporary_zps779f42dc.jpg

Not too worried about bug holes since they will be filled afterwards with Portland Cement, and sanded down.

When is the unveiling?

When is the unveiling?

Hopefully when it's finished. The mold came off early today, and the patchwork and sanding will take some time.

Very nice build! I love seeing custom stands that have some unique aspect about them.

I probably would have added some type of aggregate (glass shards, pebbles, etc) for effect, but honestly I think concrete is a pretty sharp look no matter how you do it.

I've seen a few concrete stands, and they look pretty nice. I would love to see a stand where the plumbing is actually inside the poured cement sides too, that would be awesome (As long as the plumbing never needs to be upgraded or changed!).

The Petco $1 per gallon sale got me in quite a dilemma. I have a thriving 30 with a sump that I'm thinking about breaking down to put into the 40b/sump. I'm afraid to disrupt the synergy. I couldnt resist and picked up the tank and a metal stand for $70. Ugh, I can't decide!

Finally got the slab removed entirely from the mold today. I patched all the major flaws with portland cement, and hopefully I will be able to sand and seal the slab tomorrow. I still need to fill bug holes with colored portland cement as well to give the slab a little more character. Pictures in the morning!

Did a couple of sandings, and got pocket holes filled. Once this cures, I sand with 80 grit until the grey concrete starts to show, then a final sand with 150 grit.

temporary_zpsf45bca42.jpg

Anything new? Liking this idea!

Yeah! It's damn heavy! I need to wait until I have a second body before I set this on the stand. It will be this coming week for sure, but I'm still not exactly sure when. It could have been done today, but work happened. Apart from that, the concrete slab has been finished for a couple of days already.

Tonight, I relax.

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/thewandtank/media/temporary_zpse0be7797.jpg.html'>temporary_zpse0be7797.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did a couple of sandings, and got pocket holes filled. Once this cures, I sand with 80 grit until the grey concrete starts to show, then a final sand with 150 grit.

temporary_zpsf45bca42.jpg

Updates?

Archived