Coral Vue Hydros

Can you name this Coral please?

sweevo

Hi,

I've had this Coral for approx 4 months now and it seems to be doing quite well. It was sold to me as a "Star" Coral but all the Star Corals I've seen while on the net don't seem to resemble this coral at all. :(

It looks similar to a Xenia but from what I've seen of those (again on line) it doesn't appear to be the same family. It doesn't pulse or anything.

Anyway, here's a pic :)

whatcoral.jpg

If anyone does know exactly what this Coral is, a few pointers to it's care would be greatly appreciated even though it does seem to be doing fine in my 7G Nano.

Thanks for looking.

fishbabies

Anthelia are also called waving hand xenia. xenia grows from a single stalk...like a tree with a thick trunk....while anthelia (like in your picture) form a mat of individual polyps. mine can shrink down to having a stem of less than 1/2" inch to up to 4" waving back and forth wildly

harbingerofthefish
Originally posted by Tempest

I hereby name your coral "FRED."  ;).

lol

fishbabies is right on all that. anthelia is xenia, just a diffeent variety. in all the tanks ive seen it in it doesn't pulse. but it maybe more like xenia than i know ie...it may pulse under the right conditions.

is it really that pink, or is the color altered in the pic?

Archived