Cultivated Reef

Pump really loud & bad water quality?'s

cirionrc

I have 2 rio pumps. 1 for the refugium and 1 for the cpr backpak skimmer. Well the one to the refugium turned really loud. Is this pump broken or what? The other one is so quiet. There is a little attachment on the loud one for water flow adjusting. Does that have something to do with it. Also, my ammonia won't drop and I have signs of nitrite. I have .20 ammonia and .2 nitrite(was at 0). I do weekly 10 gallon water changes with distilled water and I feed my fish little feedings so they will eat all the food. Does dying brown diatom algae cause this? Does treating the new water with sea chem water conditioner kill benefical bacteria and not nitrifying the water? Eheim filter need cleaning? My tank is 7 weeks of running.

If the Rio is making noise take it out and soak it overnight in Vinagar while it is running after that take it apart and with a tooth brush clean all the parts. By the way, I see you are using a tap water conditioner. You might want to consider using RO/DI water for your tank there is much crap in tap water you dont want.

If the Powerhead continues to be noisy replace it, someday it will freeze (usually when you aren't at home) and that can suk!

HTH,

Toy

My Bad, you are using Distilled water, no need for the water conditioner then. be cautious of Distilled water sometimes in the distilling process they use copper tubing to condense the water vapor, and this sometimes leads to small amounts of copper in the water. contact the maker of your water and ask them about the process, if there is copper involved get a different brand.

yeah, what toyfreak said...

but sometimes mine gets loud cuz air bubles gets traped in with the propeller. i just turn it over, and BOOM..no more noise..

i have given a friend a rio800 but that thing is loud as hell, i think its old..but ill try what toy recommended...

Archived