Top Shelf Aquatics

My Sumpless/Skimmerless 40GBr Mixed Reef Tank

Electrobes

Watch it in HD!

Tank: Aqueon 40BR
Stand and Canopy: The stand is a nice entrance piece of furniture and the canopy(?) is custom made of pine wood, wood filler, screws, and a cool spray paint used for grills (Very good against high heat... 1200F!!).
Light: 250W HQI Hamilton Pendant with 14K Phoenix, being run by an Aqua Medic reef cube ballast. I also use the moonlight LED that is a part of it.
Sand: Reef on the Rocks Aragonite + Caribsea SeaFloor Grade sand (Bigger particles)
Rock: Reef on the Rocks Aragolite
Water Movement: 2 X Vortech MP10 (Yellow mode at about 3/4 power for one and 1/4 for the other)
Filtration: - AquaClear 110 + Phosban Reactor (1/2 cup of BRS' cheaper GFO) - Drs.FosterSmith Bio System Power Filter (1/2 cup of BRS' large particle Carbon)
pH Controller - Used only to monitor pH
ATO: BRS Doser (50ml/min) used in custom set up (7G tub that is hidden). (I use Kalkwasser)
Foods - Freeze-dried Cyclop-Eez, Golden Pearls (5-50 + 50-100 micron mixed together)
I just finished (officially) my sorta canopy using iron wall decorations:
post-10530-0-93747100-1363835248_thumb.jpg

Thanks! We moved to Fort Myers in August of '12, but I moved the tank with me from South Carolina.. which was about 1.5-2 years old. Most of the corals you see came with me and started out as frags.

I am so pumped! I will soon get a solderless kit (12 LEDs with two 12" heat sinks) to add dimmable actinics to my tank. I also went ahead and got the VDM for my Apex Jr. I am really excited to get some more blue in the tank and seeing it's result.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So I finally decided to get off my butt and get some things done. I had, for the longest time, wanted to do several things that I just never got to:
1) Make my tank's info (Temp at the time) view-able WiFi and Cellular networks.
2) I wanted to have all my equipment (Not just the lights and temp stuff) controllable.
3) I was sick of my "Drawer" control board as the toll of pulling the drawer and dragging wires whenever I did it bugged me deeply. I wanted to have a nice and clean control board that could hide but be easily accessible when needed.
The above is a tall order and I have graciously given a weekend, with the house to myself, to complete this project unhindered. (I am a house dad to a two year old). I didn't have much time to plan this out well, so I needed to have a lot of measurements accurate, or just sheer dumb luck.
After obtaining what I thought were good measurements I went off to Home Depot and got the necessary materials to build the control board.
I started the project by removing the lights and semi-canopy off the tank.
IMG_3708Medium_zps048809d3.jpg
IMG_3709Medium_zpsdc767424.jpg
IMG_3712Medium_zps53571799.jpg
I wanted it to be fairly consistent with my current stand. The first thing that needed to be done was to remove all three bottom drawers of the stand, and knock out the supports that let them slide in and out of the stand. I could only remove the first two, because I still had to remove the equipment from the top (of the three) drawer.
IMG_3718Medium_zps7db3ce62.jpg
The next part involved cutting off the storage part of each of the two drawers, and keeping only the faces, so that I could later attach them together forming a door.
IMG_3707Medium_zps68daaea7.jpg
IMG_3705Medium_zps03da0e30.jpg
IMG_3706Medium_zps21c30ca3.jpg
Before I could remove the drawer with the equipment, I had to remove the equipment! It's amazing how much stuff could fit in there!
IMG_3715Medium_zpsc673972b.jpg
IMG_3714Medium_zps9b262db7.jpg
IMG_3713Medium_zps9e28cac5.jpg
I finally got the last drawer out, plus I was intermittently doing the control board. It involved a little black staining, and some bordering, but it came out nice.
IMG_3703Medium_zpsebd99c7a.jpg
IMG_3704Medium_zps1a018ea5.jpg
Here's me gluing the border onto the back board.
IMG_3711Medium_zps2193e0a6.jpg
I finally got the third drawer face and finished the "door".
IMG_3717Medium_zpsd51b57c9.jpg
Now it was time to add the equipment to the control board.
IMG_3719Medium_zpsdf871883.jpg
IMG_3721Medium_zps4254f71a.jpg
IMG_3722Medium_zps592144ff.jpg
I then received my new PM1 from Neptune, so I could have some pH control-ability in the future (More on that later).
IMG_3729Medium_zpsab3730dd.jpg
Overall the project is a major success given a weekend's time. I am so stoked as I bought a year subsciption to dyndns, and I can now control all of my equipment on my phone, given I have WiFi or am within range of a cell tower. My only project left is to add a doser controlled by the controller via the pH probe. The tank suffers from a fairly low pH, and I want to remedy that by having the pH monitor control the flow of Kalk water, and the ATO using regular RO/DI. I hope it works in keeping the pH stable.. and helps with keeping the Calcium and Alk up.. as they are often times too low even with me adding additives fairly regularly.

Forgot these two pics...

post-10530-0-39167100-1373504083_thumb.jpg

post-10530-0-70047200-1373504092_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!!!! Most tanks seem to be crammed full of corals (mine included) its so nice to see one that showcases just a few large pieces. Very nice :)

• 10 months later...

Archived