Pod Your Reef

Cheap 70w MH Ballast...

skeletor

so my WPI ballast crapped out on me and and I was scanning ebay for a suitable replacement. anyway, surfing ebay late at night is dangerous and I ended up purchasing some stupid 70w MH down light fixture and ballast for about $10 shipped. it turned up the other day and it's a monster mag ballast. oops, more junk to stash in the garage...

I got lucky and picked up a 3EU with fixture and bulb for $42 shipped so went ahead and replaced the WPI with the 3EU.. I'm looking at the 3EU as I do this and it says it's for M98, M139, M143 bulbs, I look at my big old hunk of metal ballast and it says M98, M101 bulbs so I think why not try it out with the fixture and bulb I got with the 3EU, just for grins.. The ballast is a Universal 11210-506-C-TC

anyway, it fired the CA 10K 70wMH bulb that was in the fixture so I'm thinking I got me some cheap lighting for a frag tank now :-). I've only run it for a couple of minutes so I'm not sure exactly how long it is going to work :-)

Anyone think this thing will burn my house down ?

ballast.jpg

ballast_and_lamp.jpg

the_works.jpg

-skeletor-

I have a ballast similar to that. It will be firing a 150w MH. I don't see anything wrong with them. And no, it will not burn your house down.

The pendant is a Cooper Lighting model EQ300WL, it came with the 3EU ballast but it looks like your typical home depot style pendant..

-skeletor-

will probably eat up a bit more electricity...looks like one of those enclosed tar ballasts (f-can) or something...I bet it gets a bit toasty when you are running your light :D

that appears to be a cap and coil ballast... should work fine if it's worked so far for you. just keep an eye on the temps as it may run hot running a diff bulb than it's meant for...

and jmt... you have a ballast similar to that?? what do you mean...similiar by looks? similiar by specs? and you say it will be firing a 150w MH? i don't see how youre gonna fire a 150 bulb w/ a 70 ballast. not all ballasts are the same going by looks

And dont forget, it was you who almost burnt your house down messing w/ ballasts. so before you post..."it will not burn your house down", you may want to get your facts straight and know for sure before "guessing" what a ballast will do and what it won't... or just dont post at all if you dont know :P

• 1 month later...

hey Von, that's exactly what I got. it's big, but it works.

looks like someone already got one, only 9 left now :-)

-skeletor-

I figure that it can't be that bad. Most electronic ballast are designed to run the same output as tar/magnetic ballast anyways, just much more efficiently.

I need a par meter. It would be cool to see some testing comparing 70 watt electronic brands and magnetics.

• 1 month later...

Archived