ReefCleaners.org

Something's Growing...

Jennie

This showed up awhile back on a piece of live rock in my 10gallon nano. It's along the backside so pictures have been a problem. I'll try to describe it because I don't think the pictures are going to help. It is now about the size of a nickle, and is burgandy in color (like coraline algea). It seems to have 'bubbles' (?) growing out from the center. If this is a bad thing to have in the tank, then it's a shame, because it is very pretty. Will try to get better pictures this weekend after rearranging the live rock. Sorry about the picture quality.

223727872105_0_ALB.jpg

i was just busting your horns, sorry. :blush: a red "x" is all i see.

is it hard or soft? are the bubbles really bubbles or bumps underneath?

from your description it could be a mushroom coral/anemone or a patch of cyano or a patch of coralline or even a sponge or tunicate of some type. pic's worth a thousand words.

I've been looking for varias algeas and still haven't found a likeness. As for it being hard or soft-I'm just not sure. Bubbles or Bumps-again not sure, for all I know if I reach down to touch it, it'd slap my hand :D . Determined to rearrange and get better pics tonight. Any suggestions to sites that I can go to compare pictures of different algaes?

Thanks etOH, I've been through there as well, didn't see what I was looking for. What I have, it looks like the 'bubbles or bumps' come out of a central disc. There are no others in the tank, so Im assumeing that it's not anything that will stread (yet).

EtOH_is_good

okay, here's several more algae pics. i took a look at your pics. way to blurry for proper id, but look into valonia species.

in your other pics, is that a red flatworm on your tank glass? i don't think that is good. may want to check that out.

Ok, I've finally turned the rock around and have a good look at what I believe is bubble aglae X) I've looked at the algae sites etOH (thanks) and that's the closest Ive gotten. Anyone agree or disagree? It seems to branch instead of come from a 'center' .As to the spot on the glass, I think it's coraline. When I cleaned the glass it didn't budge, even when I touched it. Also it is the same color as alot of the spots on my live rock. Some are that color, some darker and varies shades of blue/green.

840623082105_0_SM.jpg

EtOH_is_good

like i said the first time. i really can't see the image clearly enough. the other option was the calapura (sp) that had bubbles, but that one clearly grows in rows.

I can't seem to get the picture to get any bigger, posted more on ophoto, so that link above is still good.

Let me try this one more time

840623082105_0_ALB.jpg

How about cyano? mine "bubbles" and is burbundy in color.. Do the bubbles look like air bubbles trying to escape from it?

Having seen LOTS of bubble algea and cyano, I can fairly confidently tell you that it is neither. I'll agree with whoever when they said that its probably macro. Looks cool, and I really doubt that its bad. Looks closest to caulperna(?)

Yes, although I would like to know if that is a patch of Coraline next to it? Whatever that blue patch is, it's very tough and hardy.

Archived