Coral Vue Hydros

Brown Slime Algae

missyandbrent

missyandbrent

I have a 10 gal. Nano with 13 lbs. of live rock and 15 lbs. of live sand. I have 2 different lights. 1-19 watt 50-50 and 1-10,000k 18 watt coralife with blue antic. 2 small power heads. 1 camelback shrimp,2 red legs,2 blue legs,3 astrea snails,2 Ilyanassa snails,2 Caribbean feather dusters,2 cluster dusters,and 1 umbrella mushroom I've been having this slime algae problem for a few weeks now and its getting worse. I scrub the tank and clean the sand every water change. I even bought more snails. I'm not sure if its a direct cause but I found a dead feather duster on the sand today. It had lost its top a week ago but Just thought it was going to regrow in a few weeks. The slime just covers everything. Ammonia level is low the PH is 8.2, the phosphate level is at .1 ppm nitrate 0.0 and the nitrite .0.0..I keep the salinity at 1.025. Please help! I started the tank in February so its been up and running for about 5 months. I use test strips to test the ammonia. Its always been between Ideal and safe which is 0 to .25 ppm. Its never been higher then that. I do a 20% water change every week ( 2 gal.). I have been using water from a pur water filter for water changes.

birdman204

How much flow do you have in the tank?

I am not sure about the quality of water from the PUR tap filters. Maybe try to head to the LFS and start using RO/DI. It could be part of the problem, but I still suspect flow, that , or it's a new tank, and a dinoflagellate breakout that will soon subside. Patience. :)

Archived