SaltCritters.com

My first Clown fish! how to acclimate?

jean9910

Alright so I just got back from my LFS and U put the bag that contains the clown fish in a water pitcher only to keep it in position. then I took airline tubing and a valve and its now dripping into the bag. I've been doing it for about 5 minutes but my question is how long must I do it for?

P.S. I acclimated the bag tot he water temperate of my tank before hand.

fill the bag, then dump most of the water out and fill the bag again, if you have enough water to do so, if not, mix for about 10m with a 50/50 mix, and 10 with a 75/25 mix

fill the bag, then dump most of the water out and fill the bag again, if you have enough water to do so, if not, mix for about 10m with a 50/50 mix, and 10 with a 75/25 mix

Alright but the bag is about a foot long and here was only 2-3 inches of water at the bottom.

best way i've found is drip acclimation, put a knot in a air pump tube and create siphon, allow 1-2 drops a second come out and drip until you've atleast doubled water volume (about 30-45 minutes)

best way i've found is drip acclimation, put a knot in a air pump tube and create siphon, allow 1-2 drops a second come out and drip until you've atleast doubled water volume (about 30-45 minutes)

Thanks man! thats what I've been doing and i'm half way there.

Thanks man! thats what I've been doing and i'm half way there.

if you want to get technical take out your hyrdometer and match S.G

this method is also very crucial for invert acclimation considering they're extremely sensitive to salinity swings

if you want to get technical take out your hyrdometer and match S.G

this method is also very crucial for invert acclimation considering they're extremely sensitive to salinity swings

If I use a Refractometer do I need to re-adjust?

Clownfish really don't require this kind of acclimation unless your salinity and the LFS's are significantly different. More sensitive things, yes, definitely, but clownfish are pretty hardy and a slight salinity swing isn't going to phase them.

Drip acclimate till water doubles. Put fish in tank without water. Keep it simple. I do the same with my pistol shrimp.

Archived