ReefCleaners.org

Black coralline?

rev138

In the past 24 hours, I seem to be experiencing growth of some kind of black spots on my live rock. It doesn't look fuzzy or fleshy, it's just a bunch of irregular patches, kind of like new coralline growth. In the photo it look purplish, but to the eye, under 12000K/455nm lights it looks much more dark grey/black.

Any ideas what it might be?

black_coralline.jpg

For clarification, I'm talking about the dark areas in the center of the photo, not the little brown spots.

It's appeared very fast, and appears to be limited to areas on the rock not covered in coralline. Everything in the tank seems happy so far.

In its own way, cynobacteria maintain water quality. Cynobacteria mats in aquariums are very complex reactions envoling enzymes and much biochemistry. It is composed of what it assimilates, kinda like the Borg on Startreak.

I suggest that you get it out of your tank.

Patrick

Unless it has a strong grip, I have found that a gravel vac syphon is adequate in my large tanks. For small tanks, use toothbrush with a small 1/4" air line as syphon taped to brush handle. Depending on your situation adjustment may be required on positioning brush and suction placement. While I have not done this, it was described to me in this way. Position end of syphon line1/2" past end of toothbrush. Turn off big pumps, then brush cyno, as it floats in space, vacume it out. Consider this phosphate nutrient export. As a molecule, phosphate is elusive. It goes back and forth between inorganic and organic. While it is not necessary to understand the chemistry, be assured that cynobacteria is a bioindicator of phosphate in our reef tanks.

Enjoy the addiction,

Patrick

Archived