Day 24:

Still just a potato.

day24.jpg

Still just:

3 Astrea

4 Nassarius

3 Hermits

1 Fighting Conch

(Bonus points given if you get the potato reference.)

plapczynski

Nice.

A bunch of small live rock, about the size of a potato, will look like a stack of potatoes. A few larger pieces will give you character.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 38.

The tank is overall pretty healthy. I'm dealing with an algae outbreak at the moment, which is being caused by phosphates in the water. I grabbed some Phosguard on Monday, and the algae is starting to recede. One of my hermit crabs used to have hair algae growing on his shell, and it's noticeably receding. Calcium looks good. Hopefully over the next few weeks I should see the ugly brown stuff disappear and the purple and green stuff should spread more rapidly.

Overall the tank is healthy. My pod population has exploded, and the Green Star Polyp I got 2-3 weeks ago is growing. It's purple mat is slowly expanding over the few empty areas on it's rock.

day38.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, you're not out of room yet! You've got an acre of space top-right.

And I just picked up some nice purple 'shrooms that should be ripe for fragging in a few weeks ...

Looks good! I always get a kick seeing my frags doing well in other people's tanks. My daughter figured out that it's like sharing, and that's a good thing to do :D

Exactly! Sharing is good! It's kind of like giving away kittens to a good home.

I've ordered a 32W retro kit to bring me up to 56W. I'm thinking of getting some finger leather or something like that for the flat space on the right. I'm also going to try my hand at propagating the shrooms I have after I've done the light upgrade.

And last week you were saying you were done :D

Careful with the leather, tho. I had a sinularia frag that almost wiped out the protopalythoa through chemical warfare. This was the big mother colony of ~ 75 polyps (gone now, in trade for the hood).

I haven't truly decided on anything yet. After buying the RO unit and the lights I figure I should wait a little while before spending any more money.

OK. I lied. I added more barely a day after I got the RO unit.

day55.jpg

Why didn't anyone tell me this was going to be an addiction?

You kill me :D

You also have some more space right under your shrimp. I say ... hmmm ... within two weeks that'll be filled.

Looks good!

Great looking tank!

You've got a nice shady spot right in the centre, why not put in a sun coral. It'll be a great centrepiece!

Hey guys I got a nano cube and want to retro the standard lights for more wattage of course and seperate actinic and daylight control. How can I add more to this unit since it comes stock the way it is and it looks hard to change it. Any ideas? Im looking for the easiest retro for this particular nan you know of. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Masoch

You kill me :D

You also have some more space right under your shrimp. I say ... hmmm ... within two weeks that'll be filled.

Looks good!

Hah! Wrong! Still not filled. I'm going to keep it empty for now, as the shrimp seems to like the cave as a refuge, and sometimes my Clown hangs out there as well.

Right now I'm looking for more Zoanthids, and I'm half way through doing a "GARF" with some mushrooms. Once I've gotten the new shrooms mounted next week I'll update the pic.

Oh, and the Palythoa is slowly coming back to life both with the food and the increased light.

As for sun coral I'm trying to avoid corals that require direct feeding. I'm still crawling before I learn to walk.

I also have a nano cube and would like to improve the lighting. How did you install the retro kit? Any instructions or help woudl be appreciated.

Originally posted by SoilGuru

I also have a nano cube and would like to improve the lighting.  How did you install the retro kit?  Any instructions or help woudl be appreciated.

There's a great thread somewhere where Kappa explains it in detail.

Basically, you have to mount the JBJ ballast outside the cube if you want to keep the 24W that came with it. Bend the reflector so you've got more room for both lamps, and use crazy glue to attach the clips for the 2nd light.

Doing a search for his thread try search for username Kappa and "Light"

3gEclipseGuy

What's on the top that's blue and what's that in front that's green?

Also, I hear that xenia's will need to be trimmed down from time to time when they get overgrown. I have one (not needing yet) and wanted to know how would you do this without killing it. Just start snipping away? or is there certain areas to snip?

Originally posted by 3gEclipseGuy

What's on the top that's blue and what's that in front that's green?

Also, I hear that xenia's will need to be trimmed down from time to time when they get overgrown.  I have one (not needing yet) and wanted to know how would you do this without killing it.  Just start snipping away?  or is there certain areas to snip?

I haven't trimmed my Xenia yet either. I imagine I'll just hack bits off of it.

The Green thing is a Folded Brain, the Blue thing is a Candy Cane.

Xenia's dead easy to frag. Take a pair of sharp scissors (I use bandage / paramedic scissors) and cleanly cut through one of the branches at the point where it's branching from the stalk. Attach the frag to a rock with a snug rubber band, and you're ready to go. It'll attach in a couple days. Warning: it'll smell like raunchy dirty socks.

I think the frag I sold Todd was actually an experiment that went horribly wrong. The branch I fragged was splitting, so I used the rubber band in the Y. One half attached, one half floated loose in the tank for a week. When I got up the gumption, I attached to some rock and let it heal for a couple weeks.

Anyways, Todd, just wait until I frag the teal zoos with mustard yellow mouths :D

Jason

Originally posted by Masoch

. Warning: it'll smell like raunchy dirty socks.

He's not kidding folks. It's actually worse than that. Unless of course Jason has raunchier feet than me. :)

Anyways, Todd, just wait until I frag the teal zoos with mustard yellow mouths :D

For Zoos I shall always have plenty of space. Just email me this time, don't put them up on Aquariumpros. :)

I like the first come first served approach to frags ;)

But I'll drop you a line on the next batch of zoos. I monkied with lights the other day (and caused bleaching of my coralline, yee haw!) so things should be growing faster.

3X possibly over-driven T5s and 1X 55 watt PC.

3gEclipseGuy

So since we're on the topic of hedging.... is it easy to move a mushroom or ricordea from on rock to another? I have a rock with about 8 huge green mushrooms. I would like to put in a smaller rock with less.

Originally posted by 3gEclipseGuy

So since we're on the topic of hedging.... is it easy to move a mushroom or ricordea from on rock to another?  I have a rock with about 8 huge green mushrooms.  I would like to put in a smaller rock with less.

Yeah, it's not terribly hard. I mean, even I've done it.

http://www.garf.org/trever/MUSH.html

Archived