Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting tip for standard 10 Gallons

Travis

For all you standered 10 galloners out there, if you are having a hard time finding a good lighting system w/ a limited budget, here's the best choice IMP. :)

The Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Series.

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNum...Relationship=36

Product Information:

Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 50/50 4-Tube (quad) Compact Fluorescent Lamp, on/off switch, 8 foot power cord, cooling fans, built-in ballasts, sleek aluminum housing, highly- polished reflector and acrylic lens cover.

Dimensions: 20" x 7" x 2 1/2"

Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums

You can't order it from them, but you can check your LFS and see if they can order it for you. My LFS charged $140, retail price.

Von digity

Dude, theres about a gazillion and 1 threads about these units. They sell for like 97 bucks at hellolights.com . I've heard that the ballast on those are crap as well.

The real solution for people with tanks <10 gallons on tight budgets are the 70 watt halides that everyone raves about.

Cellenzweig

I agree the halides are best. But... if going with a PC, why wouldn't you get the 2x65w unit so you can switch the actinic and daylight seperately??

Undertheradar

LOL.

Travis, Mr. May 2004...tellin us about the 'best light for a ten gallon'...LOL!

Do you have one of those lights? If you did, you would know they are POSs, and available on ebay for $90....money better put towards halide...a 70watt halide is good, a 150watt even better (but not as cheap).

Let me guess...a great alternative to a refugium is to use an Aquaclear Box Filter...was that going to be your next contribution...????

Sorry, I dont mean to be harsh...you actually gave me a good chuckle...best I have had all day...boy did I need that!

Nudibranch

I was looking at one of those 96W Quads, but now that it has been brought to my attention the 2X65W seems like THE deal. Although I'm interested in where you can find the 70W MH set ups. All I've been able to find are the parts and I'm not really interested in putting it all together myself. If someone could steer my in the right direction I would be grateful.

Secondly,

Undertheradar: I don't really understand why you have such a harsh attitude towards this suggestion. A.) It's a suggestion you don't have to take it, B.) "limited budget" were the keywords C.) not everyone likes MH lights and that's ok.

On a side note, AC fuges have been doing wonders for many people on this board specifically and others. I suggest you do a little more reseach on them before quickly dismissing them and possibly turning a new hobbyist away from a viable option. Just because a fellow hobbyist joined this board 2 months after you, doesn't mean they lack valuable information to be shared or considered.

Nudibranch

jojomichael - Thanks for the help! I found them on ebay too w/o the bulb. I think/hope its the same person. It's got the same ballast he was talking about. I appreciate it.

Dolfan0925

Orbit(I believe formerly CSL) has a 2x40w with moonlight that's 20", made for 10g aga. If you wanna go pc that's what you'd want. not quite 96w but it comes with separate light switches for all three different lights. Sells for around $100-$125 depending on where u look. I haven't seen any of these on ebay.

Undertheradar

The ballasts on the orbit (old CSL) are nicer electronic ones....as well as the lights...I have posted this before: Im sure the overall output on the 2x0watt is better than the POS 96watt Quads.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get a 70w MH retro set up for $140 from a guy on this board,shipped and almost plug and play.Halides are a million times better the PC's IMO.I'd never do a reef tank without halides

Archived