Coral Vue Hydros

Nikon 40mm macro lens

jam77

Would the Nikon 40mm Marco lens be good at photographing my aquarium or do I really need to step up to the 105mm ? I know that the larger lens would be better but I can't afford to dump 900 right now and was possibly looking for a cheaper alt.

The 279.00 price point kinda grabbed my attention on this lens. I was considering the Tamaron but I read a couple of reviews that made me change my mind. I would love to have the nikon 105mm but I don't think the wife is going to approve of spending that kind of money any time soon. She's becoming less and less tolerate of my many expensive hobbies.

Should be fine, especially if it's a true 1:1 macro lens.
it says magnification 1/1. Is that what I'm looking for ?
supermarvin76

I hear ya. I shoot Canon, so I can't help too specifically with your lens selections other than suggesting maybe you rent one before buying one. Or look for a used one.

supermarvin76

The 279.00 price point kinda grabbed my attention on this lens. I was considering the Tamaron but I read a couple of reviews that made me change my mind. I would love to have the nikon 105mm but I don't think the wife is going to approve of spending that kind of money any time soon. She's becoming less and less tolerate of my many expensive hobbies.

it says magnification 1/1. Is that what I'm looking for ?

Yes.

Obviously you're using digital, and not film, and there's crop factors that go into this but short story long, here we go.

1:1 means that if you took a picture of a pencil tip at the minium distance of 6.4 inches, it would appear the same size (life size) on the negative as it actually is in real life.

What that really means to you is you should have no problem taking a awesome picture of a star fish right on the glass.

There is tons more that goes into it than that like ISO, aperture, shutter speed, but that's the gist of it. Sorta.

Archived