Coral Vue Hydros

Radium 20,000K

BKtomodachi

BKtomodachi

Does anyone use them here? I have just heard time after time that they are crappy, way to blue, and dotn last more than 6 months. Thats not a bulb I want to buy, but for the money they seem to be a good deal. Any experiences?

Cellenzweig

I have heard the exact opposite (well, most of it)! And I have seen them in action and they look incredible! I personally like the blue tint they have. Also, when using 20k bulbs, you don't need actinics. You're right about the reduced life though. They don't last as long as most MH, but they do last longer than 6 months if you use an electronic ballast. This tank has only 400w radiums on it. It looks great, but you can see how much more blue there is.

Acrogarden1.JPG

Undertheradar

They are not crappy...

The classic blue radium is perhaps the most underrated bulb around. You know that Iwasaki 150watt that claims to be a 50,000K? Well, it really comes in at about 15,000K...isnt that one off!!!??? Now, the classic blue, OTOH, has been metered to be more like a 38,000K!!! This is the bluest bulb around. I use one as the actinic supplimentation on my larger reef. The cost of any bulb as it gets bluer is that it's overall output will get duller...and the radium is no exception. It is so blue that it's output is nowhere near that of the other 20,000Ks...then again, nothing is as blue.

matt the fiddler

ok for any doubts on the most awesome radiums 20K. look here... if there is a problem- it is with you.. not the bulbs.. *though note- they have less lumens output than say a 10K plan ahead and you will be in good shape.... not to be confused wiht less quality or color or coolness :woot:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/totm/

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2vyy7/index.htm

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2vyy7/...7/evolution.htm

that guys success is probably 50% from his wisdom in lighting.. TOTM over at reef central a while back.. reg

Cellenzweig
Cellenzweig, dude your tank is the sh*t
LoL! I wish that was mine. It belongs to a guy I know from another board...

I use 2x400 radiums and 4 VHO over my 110. 36x30.

I still want more blue, run on pulse start not HQI either.

VHO with radium is not crazy, VHO with 10k is!!!

That is purely for the reefer not for the corals.

Why would anyone want to have two lights putting out the same spectrum? Why not have a Spike in the 450(radiums) and a spike in the 420?

I am in the process of testing a combo of 2 400 radiums, 1 250 saki and having four VHO actinic.

I am going to miss the blue, but with Major spikes in 420, 450, yellows, greens and reds I expect the color on my corals to go nuts!!!

matt the fiddler

those 250 sakis are nice :-) i got one.. just waiting on getting it low enough that my actinic is close enough to work......

BKtomodachi

Whoah! Thanks thats the perfect way for me to save money on intital purchase... its a magnetic ballast though... it was cheaper and I DIY most of my stuff anyway.

matt the fiddler

if you look aroudn.. and want to really DIY get a remote loose ballast [non mounted] and mount it in an old computer power supply.. etc.. hello lights has them i think

but MAKE A MOVE ON THESE BULBS temp offer posted yesterday if you can get a ballast that will fire them.... it is worth a little extra $$ in the ballast [going electronic] to get a few bulbs that cheap

too bad my 250 wont' fire the 250 equilivant

$30 175W 10K halide

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Clearance

BKtomodachi

Thats a good deal but I'm lookin for 20K... and the retrofit is a nice place inbetween DIY and time involved!

theclearblue

Just a note, the reason most radiums need to be replaced every 6 months is that they're being run off of HQI ballasts to make them run brighter. If you run them off of an IceCap or any other electronic, I doubt their life would be that much shorter than any other 20K bulb.

Archived