Coral Vue Hydros

What is this red stuff?

Subsea

I have at least three different red macros on this same live rock that was received as uncured farmed rock in 30' of water 30 miles west of Tampa Bay. Gulf-View is owned by Dale Barger who has maintained his reef in deeper water than the reef of Tampa Bay Offshore. Both of these companies are enviromental stewards that practice sustainable maraculture. Unless regulations are changed, when these two men are unable to dive, these source of live rock will be lost. Each of these reefs are man make using dry Bimini limestone. Together these men have placed 15 million pound of rock on the bottom of the GOM. For anybody that has seen uncured live rock from GOM, there is nothing close. The abundance of sponges, tunicates and numerous bi-vales are hard to categorize.. More than once, I have been squirted by clams. Encrusting Bryozan and coralline of many different colors.

One of the red macros is a cousin to Dragons Breath, It is shorter with flattened leaves. Halymenia Floridana is sometimes called, Red Sea Lettuce. Halymenia Floresia is Dragons Breath. I think that one of the red macros on the rock is Nemastoma sp.

Tell me what you think it is. Because it is just emerging it is difficult. Also, I am a lousy photographer.

Archived