Coral Vue Hydros

Setting up a tank for my dad! Water testing today!

--chris--

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, i built another stand for a 50 breeder a few years back and wish i would have used birch instead of red oak. Much cheaper and IMO looks better. This stuff also cut much better on my rough rip saw (i hide the cut edges in trim, so i dont bother buying/changing the blade).

I got the Reef Breeders light Friday. Wow. My first LED, its very nice.

This was in a lit room w/flash on the camera.

photobucket-43701-1364592612194_zpsde052

photobucket-59661-1364592631714_zpsb3e8c

Ive got the right hose for the pumps finally. Im thinking of using this for the return hose (used them once before, and they work well)

316JjFyrDzL.jpg

They work great, and they are $7. They are hidden with a background/painted back glass and stay securely attached. But i do have a question. Id like to find a way to keep it perpendicular to the back glass. I might be getting to picky here, but i like when the return plumbing (and other things) of a tank are squared up and not leaning one way or the other. Anyone have an idea here, how i could keep these "return jets" as they are called pointed in the right direction? Maybe something like what the vortech powerheads use to align the powercords, or some velcro on the outside of the tank hidden from view? I dont know...

Also, im looking for a way to hang the light i bought. Right now, my only idea is to use electrical EMT, and attached the base to the back of the stand then have the hanger do a 90 above the tank and hang the light via drilled hose in the EMT and use the hanging kit that came with the light. Any better ideas? The EMT would be painted flat black.

The light weighs about 7 lbs, and will be hung about 12" over the tank.

The LED's look to be a nice fixture. I have been looking at a similar generic one for my tank.

As for keeping the hanging inlet nozzles straight I would use those adhesive cable tie mounts you can get. Stick them on the back of the tank and just use some cable ties to attach it. Something like this:

http://images3.cableorganizer.com/adhesive-clips-bases/images/01-adhesive-base_red-cable-tie.jpg

You should be able to get them at Radioshack or another electrical retailer.

The LED's look to be a nice fixture. I have been looking at a similar generic one for my tank.

As for keeping the hanging inlet nozzles straight I would use those adhesive cable tie mounts you can get. Stick them on the back of the tank and just use some cable ties to attach it. Something like this:

http://images3.cableorganizer.com/adhesive-clips-bases/images/01-adhesive-base_red-cable-tie.jpg

You should be able to get them at Radioshack or another electrical retailer.

Perfect, thats what comes with the Ecotech MP pumps. I was not sure where to get them from, thanks!

The front panel of birch never did lose that bow, so i ended up having to nail it on the front. Access will be from the back, no big deal for me as it will be pushed out from the corner it will be in but im pretty sure no one else would want this stand if we ever sell it. Oh well.

I ordered up a 3' flex hose for the drain (i already had one on hand). I also ordered that return jet. Im making a list now for when i make my trip to home depot. I pray can get it all in one load, i hate having to go in there when im looking for tiny obscure parts.

To do:

-Make EMT light bracket

-order bio pellets

-finish plumbing

-setup electrical

-find some rock

-find some sand

While looking for ideas on the EMT bracker, i found this guys setup...

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/diy-section/16766-how-build-ada-inspired-lighting-stand.html

Looks like that will work great for the light. Its also a nice design that looks as good as it performs and the price is right :)

That is pretty much what I wanted to do for my PAR38 bulbs but it was too costly for me at the time. To buy a pipe bender here that will do sizes above 1/4" your looking at $200, plus the pipe (10ft for $30 isn't too bad for galv 1/2"). A machine shop wanted to charge me over $100 to put 2 bends in the pipe and wouldn't let me bring my own piping. I ended up making a wall bracket but the EMT mounts look so much sleeker IMO. The way he did the height adjustment looks great though.

That is pretty much what I wanted to do for my PAR38 bulbs but it was too costly for me at the time. To buy a pipe bender here that will do sizes above 1/4" your looking at $200, plus the pipe (10ft for $30 isn't too bad for galv 1/2"). A machine shop wanted to charge me over $100 to put 2 bends in the pipe and wouldn't let me bring my own piping. I ended up making a wall bracket but the EMT mounts look so much sleeker IMO. The way he did the height adjustment looks great though.

I dont have a pipe bender, but i may get lucky and have a friend who does. If not, ill get crafty and see what i can rig up. I have no other options, if worse comes to worst i think the rent-all down the road from me would have a tool to bend it up i could rent.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up $13.76 worth of EMT today from HD. That includes 4 brackets to attach it to the stand, two 90 degree elbows (pre bent ftw), five couplings (four for elbows, one for setting light height) and a 5' stick of 3/4" EMT.

Im not totally certain my idea will work, but for the price its worth a shot...will post back later if i get time to test it today.

Well that went quicker than expected...lol.

Here it is at max height:

photobucket-5265-1366122505473_zps7b20c7

Here is is a min height:

photobucket-5879-1366122582242_zps9e2def

And the details:

photobucket-5795-1366122478748_zps56c7db

photobucket-5110-1366122456689_zps040dd3

photobucket-4160-1366122628109_zpsf1b6d8

I might have to run another leg on the opposite side to support the weight of the light. I wont know until i get the light fully attached, but right now i do not like how much it deflects when its loaded with weight. Maybe there is another way i can make it more rigid. All in all though, it was good and cheap. Once painted it will be hard to notice it was only $14 (possibly $21 if i have to buy 5' more EMT).

I setup the tank today to do a water test, check sump operating levels, fine tune drain noises etc...got it all assembled, leveled and filled...

Only to find out the bulkheads i bought have warped flanges on them. The damn thing was leaking like there was a third unfilled bulk head hole! I drained it, pulled the bulk heads and looked real close. The flange looks like a lays potato chip :( DAMN IT!

Done venting. Im waiting for the stand to dry a bit before i continue. I plan on trimming the stand today. I also bought the wood stain (Minwax golden oak), some liquid nails, plumbing bits...its coming together quickly!

photobucket-5957-1366386220097_zpse07509

Man that sucks about the bulkheads. the light mount turned out really well though.

Thanks man, it really did turn out good for only $14.50 (thats the actualy exact cost, i looked at the receipt). Add $1 for paint, and bam...not too shabby.

Got the stand trimmed out today. Ill be staining "golden oak" sometime this week, more pics when i get there. Once the stain is dried, ill be setting up for another water test. This time, with good non-wavy bulkheads.

photobucket-7620-1366653206462_zps4187fa

It took almost all day (yes noob carpenter here), but i was able to get all the corners to place nice :)

photobucket-8409-1366653173189_zpscd7e6b

Im crazy.

I assure you im crazy.

Why?

Im probably selling this tank i spent hours on for a loss and going to build another tank. This one will be shorter. Apparently my dad has been really really really worked up about this tank:

IMG_0688.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823130

I just have to change the direction of this build...it must be done.

New tank dimensions: 30x20 foot print, but 14" high instead of 20. Water level will be right around 12.5". Light will remain suspended overhead like it is now. Im thinking of building a small bommie out of BRS reef saver and epoxy, then putting a few mangroves in the rock that is sticking out of the water. That will also please my mom as she is big into plants and gardening.

Updates later...

The stand is all done, stain, everything. Cross it off!

The tank was built today, final dims = 31"x20"x12"

photobucket-7957-1367253067097_zps4ada05

photobucket-5648-1367253032740_zpsdedf51

Ill drill it Friday or Monday next week. Just need to get an ATO, rock, sand and i think im all done.

Ordered the autotopoff.com double float switch, $60 later and its on the way. Im looking for a Aqualifter pump now...i remember amazon had the best price, but i canceled my prime :(

--chris--

The tank is done! I installed a corner overflow, drilled two 1" drains and i believe i have enough room for two durso's as well :) The ATO showed up yesterday, so i got that mocked up. Once i pick up a threaded adapter for the 1" PVC i can make some overflow tubes and do a water test. Ill either be ordering some marco rocks (25 lbs nano kit) or ill be picking up some rock locally from a fellow breaking down a tank for $0.50/lbs. Its dry rock, but for that price i dont care!

Here is a rough idea of the rock work.

vxccps.jpg

Id like to hide the overflow, and depending on how much rock is left & also how the tank is looking i might do a little bommie somewhere in the open sand.

The idea is to make the tank appear larger than it is. Rock sticking out of the water is a real possibility as well, since I did say he liked the "volcano" tank above.

Side bar: My dads B-day is coming up in June, and its looking like this will be done around then...so this might turn into a b-day tank for my dad.

Liked the first almost build - digging this one even more based on the prototype picture. Tagging along.

--chris--

I grabbed a few pics today with my camera, ill upload them later since the work computer just doesnt know what to do with the camera when i plug it in lol.

Also just ordered up some BRS reefsaver rock, should be here by Friday and i can start playing with a scape. I think im getting pretty close to done....

Archived