Cultivated Reef

Live Rock

Mateo

Can I get some opinions on what LFS in the DFW area have the best selection of LR? Planet Pet is a nice store for fish and inverts but I think their LR sucks and is over priced.

Also what are some recommended suppliers of LR on-line?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Good to see another reefer in the D/FW area :D Planet Pet is nice, and their prices aren't nearly as bad for LR as some of the other stores (including Dallas North Aquarium). I was there two days ago and wasn't too terribly impressed with their LR. Most of the LR I've seen (Petland, DNA, PP, etc.) has been pretty much bleached out rock with little/no life. I'm going to Saltwater Solutions today to check out what they have and will report back to you :D

I was EXTREMELY happy with the LR I got from http://www.themarinecenter.com, and at the price they sell it for -not too shabby. They sell it for $3.99/lb and will ship it anywhere in the North Texas area for $20 total -$10 shipping/$10 packing. It will arrive the next day.

When the rock came to me, it was clean, vibrantly colored, and smelled of fresh ocean breeze. Very little die-off, and the rock was considerably encrusted with purple, pink, and green coralline. If you do order from them, make SURE you specify you want it for Tuesday delivery. They get their shipments in on Monday and you get pick of the litter if you have it packed and shipped on Monday.

If you want to see some pictures of it, please visit my (work in progress) site at http://www.nano-reef.com/goofnut

Just an FYI, the LR "curing" on the pics page had the "good" sides turned down. I was trying to encourage growth on the undersides of the rock ;)

I went to Saltwater Solutions today. It's a grungy rustbucket. The entire building is about to rust apart! Still, their livestock seemed to be in good shape. Their corals were only so-so, as I think their lighting is deficient. I picked up a peppermint shrimp and a beautiful flame scallop that has made its way around the tank 3 or 4 times so far. Hopefully he'll find a "happy place" and settle in (preferably somewhere I can see it). The prices were decent, but could have been better. The only guy working there didn't say a word to me until I said "I am ready to get some stuff".. oh well, at least I knew what I wanted before I walked in ;)

I also went to Pet Palace today, and it's not looking all that great. The guy in the store, Jeff, was very nice and chatted with me for a while. He indicated that they're probably moving to a new location and getting all new equipment, which is probably why they had very little livestock. Their corals were decent and kept under MH lights, so that was nice to see. Their prices were comparable to most LFSs around here.

Goofnut,

Does Saltwater solutions sell LR? If so how does it look? I noticed that http://www.themarinecenter.com is in the 817 area code somewhere, do you know if they will let people come pick up rock and stuff so they can select their own? My cousin ordered a box of rock from exoticfish.com and got a 30lb rock and a couple of 10lb rocks. It looks great and has lots of life growing out of it (sea fans, sponges, feather dusters). But I dont want to spend a lot of money on rock that wont fit into my tank or I just dont like the shapes, etc.

I didn't see any LR at saltwater solutions. That doesn't mean they don't have any, I just didn't see it. They had the lights off in the entire store -I was poking around in the semi-dark and I couldn't see back into their "storage" area. I did pick up one of their business cards and the phone number is: 972-406-0470. It does mention that they are open "by appointment only" on Monday and Tuesday. Their website is http://www.saltwatersolutions.com

As far as The Marine Center, they don't allow you to come by their office. I was disappointed to hear that, as I wanted to drive by and pick up some stuff to save myself the shipping costs (and get the pick of the litter!). Oh well :/ Ordering online is a crapshoot. X) If you want to pick and choose, then your options are limited. Petland (FM 3040 in Flower Mound) also sells LR at about $6.99/lb, but I can't vouch for its quality. Dallas North Aquarium sells it, and the "uncured" rock looks better than what you can buy at most stores around here, but it starts out at like $9.99/lb and goes down the more you buy.

Archived