Top Shelf Aquatics

lightning bolts on scallop

calvinci

I got this scallop in the attachment, the lightning is really stuning.. Problem is sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not, the shop claims that the lightning is very bright and can been seen at night, when it's dark..

But mine is pretty dimm, can't see anything lightning in the dark. Anyone knows how to boost it's lightning brightness? What do you feed it?

it must be happy. but it wont be in your tank. they do bad in captivity, and dont live long. they're definitely an invert that people should stay away from. sorry

you could dirty up your tank more since it is a mullosk and they like nutrient rich tanks. i doubt its photosynthetic so feeding will be important. try DT phyto...or if you can find a supplier, try to get this live food thats more suited for clams due to its particle size, dont know the name of it though

mineralrock

its a flame scallop.

its non-photosynthetic.

without phytoplankton I doubt you will be able to keep it alive for more than like 2 months. Get marine snow or any similar product....it will need supplements daily.

There's no way to brighten the lightening. It doesn't look like it, but the lightening is a brightly colored piece of tissue that's usually covered. When the clam lifts its mantle, it flashes.

Are you sure it's difficult to keep? My friend got 3 in his 120 gal aquarium, been 1 year plus and still alive, no special supplement, just seachem trace element, calsium and strontium weekly.

these typically are difficult to keep as it is unsure of what they actully feed on. they typically die within a few months, however there are people with success keeping them. its good to hear your friend has kept his so long, im very surpriised to here that.

I start to worry after reading on this.. My friend tank has got some green algae, even grow on top of the scallop shell, is that the what the scallop feed on?

matt the fiddler

mabye.. there is a lot of room in a 120 to brew stuff. coudl be that- coudl eb any numebr of 100 other things..

Ok, I will keep an eye on it... as this creature is really nice, I don't wanna lose it.. how do you tell if it's starving, or dying?

you can tell its dying if its open really wide and u can see all his organs inside. with a turkey baster or other CLEAN eyedropper, give it a good amount of preferrably live phytoplankton every other day right in front of it. you should be able to keep it for a couple of months. thats how i did it and mine lasted a good 3 or 4 months.

I had one a while back. very cool animal. it lasted about 3 months. I posted about these guys over on Reefcentral.com and the majority said that flaming scallops pretty much dont live long in captivity, so just enjoy while you got em.

BlackSumbel

Scallops open like that to feed. You'll know when it's on it's way out because it will not react (quickly) to things happening around it. Give it a tap on the upper shell with something. If it closes -very- quickly, or flipps off through the tank (they can move by snapping their shell together/expelling water)... then it's fine.

I had a -tiny- one of these for quite a while. It ended up passing away when I had a bout of the flu and couldn't maintain the feeding.

ush... it respond quickly to stimulation, luckily... I place it against the LR, to avoid this guy hopping around in the tank... so far so good, but I didn't feed it specifically with anything. Just the normal reef supplement.

BlackSumbel

Phytoplankton, preferably live (but pre-bottled is fineas far as I know)... and if you feed other stuff (like frozen mysis) puree a bit and swoosh the puree at the clam.

They like -really- nutrient rich water. That's why I'd been able to keep one in a tiny desk nano. Greenwater/phytoplankton, pureed stuff.

I've also kept blue mussles before... usually, I think "Ohhh, I really should put these in the reef"... and then a freaking hermit eats them. Same with barnacles...

*shakes head*

Archived