Pod Your Reef

Uncured rock cycling

s800

I've been cycling uncured Tonga live rock over the past 4+ weeks.

The cycle went something like this:

No Ammonia first 2 days, then rapid skyrocketing.

Ammonia stayed high for a week, then dropped fast. Nitrite spiked up same day.

Nitrite stayed up for a full week, then gradually tapered off.

Never have had more than 5ppm of Nitrate or so, but Nitrite is either 0 or <1.

No ammonia since first week.

So my question is: is the cycle complete?

I did this in a rubbermaid container (6 powerheads, 78 deg, 4 hours light/day, one 15% water change and Amiracle skimmer),

I am moving some of this rock into a my first nano, a 7gal bow. Should I proceed?

Only counter indicator is that the water is still a bit stinky, but has gotten better- still has skimmer output. Can I do any harm by waiting a bit longer?

Thank you! What a great board!

i believe the rock is ready to go..but for caution i would add it in slowly, perhaps one large rock every other day...just in case..but from the sound of it..your rock is or should of been fully cured by now..if you want to be on the safe side, change 50-75% of the water in the rubbermaid and let it run for another 2 days or so...that sould do the job and by then, your water should not stink

I assume U have TONGA Branch or Shelf rock...

The Branch is tricky stuff to cure correctly... It will bleach 100 % most all the time, then regain its color a few months later. VERY ANNOYING ! The Shelf is similar, but its internal matrix is a haven for pods and micro crustatians (some dead still) and whatnot..... It will still smell. Brisk Airation will help cure it and make sure to have strong water movement... I even take a PH and Blast the pieces full force to get the crap out.. ALSO, DONT EVER cure it in your display tank.. it will make a huge mess in your Sand bed......eventualy making a nutrient reserve...

ALWAYS CURE then Place.:)

In interest of completeness:

I gave the rock a few more days, and did a bit of vacuuming- smells fine now and have moved the first batch into a 7 Bow.

Started to grow just a small amount of red and green algae in the rubbermaid "curing" tank.

R

Archived