Top Shelf Aquatics

IM MiniMAX

SerenityReef

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like others here I have only good things to say about mine I picked up during the BRS Black Friday sales. I absolutely love it for my BioCube29 Fits perfectly in the middle chamber reducing the amount of Chaeto I have in there but in the long run I am running High Capacity GFO in the reactor so it is doing what I needed the Chaeto to do anyhow.

It's easy to change the media. And the flow is easy to control. Compared to other choices that will fit in the back of most AIO tanks such as my BioCube29 it is perfect.

Per your recommendation, I changed out the biopellets, putting in about 20% less this time around (math below). The below picture is of the biopellets that I threw out...the biopellets and reactor were coated in a slime-like substance and as you can see, the pellets stuck together they were so sticky.

photo1_zpseb8dd0a8.jpg

No doubt, this was causing them to stick at the top of the reactor. Is this slime normal? These pellets were in the reactor for about 2 months and the instructions say to replenish the biopellets every 3-6 months.

For anyone else using these biopellets, here's how I determined what to use...I have the 16g IM Nuvo and I estimate that there's about 12-13g of actual water. I'm using the AquaMaxx BioMaxx Plus BioPellets and the instructions say to use "0.5 to 1.0 liter of pellets for every 125g of water" (I use 0.75 liters/gallon). With this all in mind, here's my math...

• 0.75 liters of biopellets per 125 gal (or 750 ml)
  • 750 ml of biopellets / 125 gal = 6 ml of biopellets per 1 gal
  • 6 ml of biopellets * 13 gal = 78 ml of biopellets needed for my 13 gal tank

Converting to tablespoons was easiest for me...

• 1 ml = 0.068 tbsp
  • 78 ml * 0.068 tbsp = 5.3 tbsp of biopellets needed for my tank

I initially added 5.3 tbsp, but biopellets were getting stuck at the top of the reactor. So, I emptied the reactor and added 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) and the flow seems to be better - see video below.

Surely someone out there has changed biopellets before...is this what they typically look like? Sticky, gooey, and stuck together

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
LebaneseDlight

What's the best way to run both GFO and Carbon in my Minimax reactor? Should I put the carbon, wedge it between sponges and add the GFO on top between another layer of sponges?

I had mixed both together and ended up with a solid mass. I'm using small lignite carbon and BRS bulk GFO (regular capacity).

Thanks!

Greg

GFO on

What's the best way to run both GFO and Carbon in my Minimax reactor? Should I put the carbon, wedge it between sponges and add the GFO on top between another layer of sponges?

I had mixed both together and ended up with a solid mass. I'm using small lignite carbon and BRS bulk GFO (regular capacity).

Thanks!

Greg

GFO on bottom then the carbon towards the very top sandwiched between 2 sponges.

Thanks! So as long as the GFO is tumbling, the carbon will get enough flow I imagine?

Yes. You want the GFO to have as much room as possible to tumble because it gets stuck together pretty easily. Carbon is the opposite because it turns to dust very easily if it tumbles around. All you need is for the water to pass through the carbon which will happen even if it's tightly sandwiched between 2 sponges.

Archived