Coral Vue Hydros

Modify a CPR Aquafuge

aldive

I have read posts about how to modify a CPR Aquafuge to prevent it from dumping into the main tank if a pump is lost or a power out situation.

It was something about drilling a hole.

I am confused about where to drill this hole.

Any input and pics will be appreciated.

jojomichael

Yeah, I would like to know that too. Where do you drill the small hole? Inlet tube/Outlet? Tank Side/Fuge Side? 90 degrees/45?

Drill a tiny hole in the inlet tube.....at 12 o'clock (thats straight up)....just before it turns down.

That minimizes the back flow!

On the fuge side......doing it on the tank side won't break the siphon in the fuge, which were trying to do.

Yes....it will be about 1/2" below the water surface in the fuge. the amount of flow that is lost out that hole is really small...almost insignificant

ok, not to be too dense, but can someone please post a pic with this hole drilled? I know onthefly has described it, but it still doesn't make sense in my mind. I want to be completely sure before I unleash my Dewalt on my fuge!X)

birdman204
Originally posted by onthefly

On the fuge side......doing it on the tank side won't break the siphon in the fuge, which were trying to do.

actually, it probablu would if the power went out, but your pump wouldn't get the proper amount of water to the fuge, and depending on how and where you drilled it, water chould be shooting everywhere :D

I drilled mine, with the fuge empty, on the side of the intake pipe inside the fuge, at the elbow, so the flow thru the hole goes towards the fuge return

Here ya go... you put the hole just beneath the water level in the fuge. If the pump stops and water continues to siphon out of the fuge, the water level will drop. Eventually the water level will get below the hole, the hole will let air in and break the siphon. The same thing works with sumps, you put the hold on the return pipe, just beneath the water level... thus reducing the amount of water that will siphon back into your sump. I have attached a diagram

birdman204

the piece that the pump pumps water into the fuge, at the elbow INSIDE the fuge, drill a hole with yuor drill, You will need to put the drill "IN" the fuge, to drill it, so it needs to be empty, be sure to test your hole size afterwards to make sure siphon does break. I made mine a little larger than needed because it gets covered by algae and coralline.

i think it would be a better idea if you take the long tube out that feeds to the tank and just a do a gravity feed back to the tank. THat's what i'm doing and my pods and stuff are all doing fine. Better than drilling in my opinion. Don't have to worry about siphoning or flooding the house if something gets clogged.

thanks to everyone for both the explanation and picture!!! That is what I had pictured in my mind, and I will feel a lot better tonight when I break out the drill.

birdman204
Originally posted by reefguy01

i think it would be a better idea if you take the long tube out that feeds to the tank and just a do a gravity feed back to the tank. THat's what i'm doing and my pods and stuff are all doing fine. Better than drilling in my opinion. Don't have to worry about siphoning or flooding the house if something gets clogged.

This tube is on the intake side, The siphon will occur from here. The other chamber houses a minute amuont of water, that shouldn't flood anyones tank.

That hole looks a shade small.... I would go a little bigger as coralline and algae will begin to cover it.

I'd swear you snuck into my house 8 months ago and took a picture of my fuge / heater when It was first setup ;) Looks tha same.

Archived