SaltCritters.com

Maxi Jet got REAL loud . ugh

FamousGuy

Alright my original maxi jet was so quiet i got a second one and put both in my new tank....well the new one was quiet the first day, but ever since yesterday it's been making a loud vibrating noise...is it just "breaking" itself in, or does it maybe have something stuck in it or what? It's still got good output so i know it's not jammed. I hope i can fix it, otherwise it's gonna drive me and my tank inhabitants nuts (or i'll have to buy a new powerhead)

It might have some air trapped in it, or perhaps (like you mentioned) it might have a bit sand or something else in it. My powerhead has to be "primed" after I take it out of the water, as it won't work otherwise. What I do is take a turkey baster full of water and (while it's running) squirt repeatedly into the outflow nozzle until it spits out the air and starts working. I only have to do that when I remove it from the water to clean the prefilter, etc. It's also possible to just turn the whole unit horizontal so the air bubbles out, but it's just easier to prime it with the turkey baster. Good luck! :)

I squirted the intake with a mini-baster and that quieted it down a little, but not as quiet as it should be...i guess i'll have to take it out tomorrow and clean the inside out, i hate to do that though cuz i hate putting my funky hands in the tank

Christopher Marks

Definately sounds like something got pulled into it, or the impeller has a problem with it. Check it for damage when you take it apart, an rinse everything out really well.

Archived