ReefCleaners.org

How long until bonded acrylic is aquarium safe?

Seattle05

I made a media reactor this afternoon out of acrylic using 1/4 acrylic and liquid bonding agent. 5 to 6 hours later I started to put it together and next thing I knew it was sitting in my sump doing its job. I guess I got so excited about seeing it in action that I forgot to find out how long before I can put it in the water.

Anybody happen to know?

gulfsurfer101

What agent did you use. If it's fast acting like weldon 3 or 4 your good to go. Weldon 16 I'd give at least 24hrs to dry. Bonded a 130g acrylic tank that had a leaking seem with Weldon 4 and filled it 12hrs later. It's holding well 12hrs later no signs of leaking and stress. It doesn't take long to seal and dry up at all.

Nice job btw.

Thanks!

I used Weldon 4SC fast set. I figured its bonded well enough because that stuff sets up fast. I guess I'm more worried that it will leach chemicals and kill my inhabitants.

Was thinking of running half PhosGuard half charcoal, but I've read somewhere before that charcoal is not a good idea in reef tanks because it absorbs iodine. So not sure how that would work.

I have an odd question (even though I'm sure of the answer), but didn't want to create a new thread for it...

Any way to unbond acrylic once welded (other than cutting it)? Want to move the baffles in an acrylic sump...

Nope. The solvent basically melts the acrylic and they fuse together and become a single piece of acrylic. If you bond two pieces of acrylic together and try to break them apart it will break everywhere except at the joint.

That is what I told myself before asking! Was hoping there was some super secret magically way to undo it.

Archived