Pod Your Reef

Aiptasia "Breeding"

Acielot

I am curious as to how fast aiptasia really produce. I would be interested in sustaining a Burghia population but I have never actually had to deal with aiptasia.

So are there methods that make them spread faster. How large can they get and how long does it take?

They multiply quite a bit faster than majanos. That said. I haven't had them grow out of control in the pest tank. I don't think there are enough nutrients for them to grow out of control. I think for good success you need a pretty badly maintained tank. Lots of food, probably high nitrates and cut little bits of them off regularly and you should be able to grow quite a few. I suspect you'll need some fish. Clown fish seem like the best choice since they likely wouldn't get stung.

I haven't had great luck getting my majanos to propagate in plague proportions like most would suggest they do.

Haha thanks Tiki. I had tried a variation of Florida Burghia a while back but I couldn't get its food to reproduce quickly enough so I was hoping that Burghia Verrucornis and aiptasia might be a better nudibranch project .

I think that Majanos should be removed from the pest section. They are no different from any other anemone and they come in a variety of attractive colors as your tank has shown ;)

• Like 1

I've heard plenty of stories of explosive majano and aiptasia population growth in neglected tanks. In a clean tank, they definitely aren't a big problem, but then again neither is algae or other maladies.

• Like 1
Builder Anthony

U can see bubbles in there tenecales right before they reproduce.i only seen one 5 inch aptasia in my life in a poor lite tank.feeding them flaefood will help alot along with light.manjos might be able to sell down the lo g road if they are nice.

For about 3 months I ignored my sexy shrimp breeding tank. The 6 females produced a continuous supply of unused larvae and the aiptasia population in the sump EXPLODED!

Maybe try a pair of cleaner shrimp instead.

Sexies are an anemone shrimp, so they'd get along with the aiptasia just fine if you want to keep them together, but you'd need several. I don't know how cleaner shrimp would do with them, but just two would probably out produce a handful of sexies. I can't speak for the size of cleaner shrimp larvae however.

Hatching baby brine shrimp would also be an option, but more work and mess.

For about 3 months I ignored my sexy shrimp breeding tank. The 6 females produced a continuous supply of unused larvae and the aiptasia population in the sump EXPLODED!

Maybe try a pair of cleaner shrimp instead.

Do you mean breeding as a food source? Because 6 sexy shrimp at my LFS will total up to be ~$80. I could probably get away with SW ghost shrimp.

I have a breeding pair of crabs as a breeding project right now. So far I have raised 5-6larvae to adulthood. Not a good rate of survival but they are crabs after all.

Archived