SaltCritters.com

frogspawn and GSPs not opening

Jpizzle

I purchased a frag of branching frogspawn a few days ago (saturday) and today is now tuesday and it seems like it's not fully opening and I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried putting it in an area with low flow and low light to try to gentle acclimate it- and I was guilty and have been moving it around the tank past few days in hopes of it getting it to open. All my other softies are behaving normally and this is the first LPS I've tried to introduce into the tank.

Also- my GSPs (been in tank for over a month) aren't coming coming out either which is really weird... I started using carbon a few days ago for the first time and it might be possible the water is too clear so they're getting too much light? That's my only guess...

tank specs: 29 gal (18 in tall) , remora skimmer with skim box, 2x65w PC lighting, 2 powerheads- total of ~ 310 gph

pH: 8.2-8.3

gravity: 1.024-1.025

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: ~410-420 ppm

I don't test for phosphate and I think I should, even though I get my RO / filtered sea water from the LFS.

I might be just impatient/spoiled because I'm so used to new corals immediately opening up the next day...

Here are some pics

frogspawn with flash (just to get non-blurry shot)

schaferfred

Get rid of the carbon. I have heard of people having the same problems after adding carbon. Try that and let us know what happens.

any suggestions? if you want a picture of the frogspawn w/o a flash refer to my thread of pics of my 29 gal in the photography forum... wouldn't let me double post same pic... any help would be appreciated

The carbon I used was kent marine "Reef Carbon" and I washed it before I used it and I also ran it for only 4 days... =[

schaferfred

Since you removed the carbon, they will probably bounce back after a few days. I'd probably do a water change after removing the carbon also. Good luck

2muchreef4u

CARBON REMOVES IMPORTANT TRACE ELEMENTS. YOUR BEST BET IS JUST FREQUENT WATER CHANGES TO REPLENISH. THIS IS PROBABLY THE FIRST TIME CARBON WAS BEEN INTRODUCED TO YOUR TANK?

matt the fiddler

gsp shuts up for sometimes over a week. it is just taking a nice long nap.. i woudl say give it a coupel of days before you change anything else.. watch your params though carefully. make sure you Spec Gravity meter is reading corectly. test it against another one.. the cheap float ones [liek i own] have the problem of running high sometimes.... etc.

Carbon polishes your water hardcore...your lights most likely are much brighter looking (to your corals) than before...as far as carbon stripping your water of all trace elements, that is debatable...and it's not leaching anything if you rinsed and it is new media...your corals are just a bit shocked as the lighting has become more intense...if you already pulled the carbon, they should bounce back shortly...either way, they will adjust.

billpa

schaferfred
Originally posted by billpa

...and it's not leaching anything if you rinsed and it is new media...

billpa

Do a search.....I have found on here where people have said carbon can leach phosphates and have had algae and or cyano outbreaks while using carbon. Chemipure super cleans the water as well and I haven't heard anyone say their corals closed up while using it.

KansasCoral-Nu-B

i use purigen and carbon.. honestly i think the purigen is worthless. the carbon on the other hand makes the wate sparkely clean... love the stuff. just rinse it in SW till it stops fizzing hard core.. you'll be good to go. never had an issue with my tank and i'm technically running 2 bags (dual chamber HOB filter)

now I'm scared to use carbon- after removing the carbon a few days ago and a water change..the frogspawn has started coming out a little more. but the gsps are still not coming out at all.

Archived