Coral Vue Hydros

Clueless On Lighting

Dionysus

Hi everyone. Noob here :)

Trying to gather equipment to start a 20gallon bowfront nano.

I've researched alot to the point that I confused myself. The advertisers and retailers of course throw their own biased opinions into the equation to confuse me more. I am trying to keep my lighting cost under $100.

The tank has the following dimensions: 24"l x 12"d(15" at bowfront center) x ~19" total tank height without canopy/hood. I am starting out with a FOWLR initially and would like to have the lighting to add corals down the road.

I would like to have the flexibility of a two bulb setup with 10kwhite and actinic 03. I see many 50/50 PC's with a 6k-8k white/actinic blue.

----Should I be concerned with the 6k-8k vs. 10k white spectrum?

----How many watts per gallon should I have for most corals?

----Can anyone shed some light on the Workhorse ballast I have seen on Ebay and which ones are appropriate for a reef tank?

----Can anyone recommend a good economical light/retrofit that they have had success with for under $100? Of course, all because I set my cap at $100 does not mean I want to spend $100. I am a DIY'r so I could put something together once I know what to design for.

P.S. My buddy gave me (in exchange for a 12-pack) a Fluval 403 + Aquaclear 300 HOB. I was going to replace the 403 media and use it solo + one powerhead.

----Would the 403 be too much filter for a 20 gallon nano?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Check e-bay. There's some guy that sells a CSL 2x65w retrofit for $70. 130w, 6.5 watts per gallon should be sufficient for most corals. Although you couldnt keep most SPS under them. I say this, but check out Matties tank in the members tank section. Mattie has had unbelieveable success with SPS under PC's.

Archived