SaltCritters.com

1 gallon bowfront update

1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Well, ít's been awhile since I last posted some pics. Here's the link to my old thread. It follows the construction of the system and the early stocking

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=26895

These pics were taken with my crappy $10 webcam so the greens arent there, but the other colors came out ok. You probably notice that there is a fair amount of SPS in this tank.

1fish2fish

Here's my favorite one. It's a nice little blue tip acropora. The tank lighiting is two 13 wat 50/50 PC's. The water depth to the sand is about 5 inches. All of the frags have been in the tank for a little over a month or so and all have shown some growth. THis acro has grown lots and has not faded.

1fish2fish

I'm not sure what species this is, it was jsut in the frag tank at the store so I picked it as a part of my package. I got 5 frags for $60.

1fish2fish

My little birdsnest. The tips are growing nicely. THey've about trippled in length since I got them (they were just little dots at the time).

1fish2fish

GSP. Color didn't come out too well, but htese guysare rapidly forming a nice sized colony and jsut starting to attach to the glass.

1fish2fish

Here is the coral I wrote about earlier in the month. I had two sexy shrimp in the tank and they took to standing on it. This resulted inthe polyps being retracted almost 24 hours a day. There was some tissue loss, but it seems to be on the rebound. the sexies have been moved to my 4 gallon. I was a tad dissapointed as this was one of the first corals to go in the tank. You can see the white skeleton exposed in the upper right portion of the animal. I would say that this coral is at least half again as big as it was when I first introduced it about two months ago.

1fish2fish

Well, that's the last one for now. I'll have to see about getting the digital camera from work t do a decent full tank shot.

As I mentioned, the sps have been in there for about a month. All have shown nice growth, the colors have not faded and polyp extension is good. I do a one liter water change using natural sea water per week and feed a mixture of live phytoplankton (two to three species depending on what is available at work), live rotifers and occasionally some live newly hatched artemia. The current mobil residents include one astrea (hasn't started to knock over frags so he can stay), one cone shell ( I like the way he shifts my sand for me) one little cowry of some sort (I'll try to get a pic later, but he only seems to come out at night) and two blue leg hermits. I don't clean the glass. I haven't had to clen it for over two months.

Temp stays stable at 79.8 - 80.1 ( I have a logger on my digital thermometer)

I'm using a battery powered air driven auto topoff system using a float switch from float switches .com or whatever they're called. I go through about one liter of distilled water every three days.

The refugium in the back (1/3 fuge and 2/3 viewing space = 1 gallon) is holding a two inch deep sand bed, a couple of small pieces of live rock and caulerpa.

I'll see if I can dig out the link to my original thread as it has the early evolution of the tank. The entire system is DIY.

Well, that's it for now. Any comments are always welcome.

hey another pico reefer to the squad.

what are you doing about calcium and alk levels?

also u may want to check out brandons sps pico's over at reefs.org for ideas to assure those sps are happy

1fish2fish

Cool.

The 25% water change using NSW seems to keep things stable for now. Hopefully I don't find myself needing to dose in the future. I guess time will tell.

I'll ahve to check out those other picos.

Archived