Coral Vue Hydros

Sculptor's approach to reefing

duoc9119

Haven't really been around since I'm taking a ton of classes this semester.

But as I was working I had stumbled upon an idea I thought was great and pretty universal. A "living" reef sculpture.

It started off as a minimalist approach to a piece of work but came to the idea of using it in a tank as a center piece or even as frag "plugs" or even on even larger scales dropped into the ocean to expand reefs.

So here's where I'm at. The work is made from ceramic material, essentially stones, as safe or even safer than placing ceramic tiles for fish mating. I'm planning on making them in the 2" cube range and possibly selling them through various reef forums and LFS's in packs of 5 for $20 which include shipping.

Here's the current work in progress. Still has a ways to go in terms of making the arcs steeper and the whole thing more clean and sharp looking. So the image is just an example/testing piece. The final pieces will look nicer.

Currently I'm just doing a head count on how many people will be on board with the idea and would like to purchase some. Again, its 5 for $20 which includes shipping. Completely safe, you are pretty much putting another piece of rock in your tank.

20130202_000915_zps7585bb9f.jpg

I'm not sure what the market will be like for the idea. It seems rather large and oddly shaped to be used as a plug, and generally people will prefer a natural looking scape to something that appears manufactured. Does it have any mechanical benefits over a standard plug?

• Like 2

What I've noticed is that everyone tries to hide the plug as much as possible. So the idea is why not make a structure that is pleasing to the eye. Think of it as a "living" sculpture that isn't just in your tank as a means functionality but is also in your tank as an aesthetic form and figure.

It provides a surface for coral or marco algae to be placed or grow on, as well as a small shelter for fish and inverts. With the large openings, it provides plenty flow through the structure. Some have gotten the idea of using them in fry and breeding tanks as shelter and a surface for spawning eggs.

With the ceramic material, since it is pretty much a stone, it will absorb a bit of phosphate like dry rock and live rock would but wouldn't really be a whole lot. If that is what you are referring to as mechanical benefits. The legs are pointed so they could be placed on the sand or on rock work stably without risk of falling over, as unglued down frag plugs are prone to doing.

Why try to hide the fact that you are trying to hide a frag plug that is stark white? This will come out to a stone greyish color and is aesthetically pleasing. No need to hide a piece of art, let time and natural growth do that.

Imagine a great big acro growing around and on top of one of these as your show piece. Wouldn't that look nice? A natural pedestal for all to see.

My opinion is, I just don't see it. There is nothing natural looking about it and I think having frags glued to it would look silly. Kinda looks like a distorted brown air pump.

• Like 4

you glue frags to it not frag plugs. the idea is to replace the plug with this. something that is more eye catching, in a good way, than a plug.

im not going for a natural look. its more of an artistic presence.

Maybe it could be used as a qt tank safe harbor for fish who like to hide. How big is it? Not trying to say I have an artistic eye, but it seems very unpractical to 99% of reefers.

Most people grow their frags on a plug until they are large enough to glue to a rock or shove the frag plug in a crevice. It'll irritate and stunt the frags growth if you cut it off, reglue it, and then cut it off and reglue a month later again. Not to mention all the glue chunks that would be left behind.

• Like 2

The purpose isn't to neccessarily hide it as you would with a frag plug. It is ment to be a structure that is grown over with coral, marco, or even coraline. Providing both a foothold for coral and plants as well as an overhanging shelter for fish.

There have been other's that have done the same, but on larger scales and dropped their work into the oceans as a means of preserving the receeding coral reefs. I'm sure many of you have seen the article about ashes being mixed with cement and pressed into a geometric form to be placed in the ocean, as well as the artist who has done life size concrete people castings to help promote expanding reefs.

This is the same idea and practice but placed into our tanks.

i think it is a great idea. you just have to look beyond its current state and imagine it with fully grown corals on it. this allows you to shape the environment the way you want it to look. i commend your work. keep it up!!!

• Like 1
i think it is a great idea. you just have to look at it with fully grown corals on it. this allows you to shape the environment the way you want it to look. i commend your work. keep it up!!!
Maybe this. Implement it and fill it with growth and more people will have interest. Good luck.

Btw, kudos for taking criticism without getting upset.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea for a tank that's aimed more at an artistic view than a natural look. But I think the idea about the reef preservation look wouldn't translate well in such small scale. They've sunk ships intentionally near reefs to create habitat but I don't think too many people use model ships as a place to place corals.

If your able too, consider making ceramic frag racks that look similar to rocks. I've seen them around but most don't look that great. Having something that blends with the current scape and is predrilled to fit plugs and can hide them easily would catch on pretty well.

Been a few days, but I got mold templates 3d printed out and awaiting to make the plaster mold.

I have made several small test pieces that have been fired once and I'm waiting for the next high fire to put them in there.

Maybe a more natural form would make it more appealing. Like a tree shape or even like an acro. A large dome used as a centerpeice of a tank would be cool once it was grown in but many people don't like it until they see an example.

Archived