Cultivated Reef

My 25GL aga

JParra

Are elegence corals hard to maintain in the home aquaria? I know things like flowerpots are but ive got it somewhere in my mind ive heard elegence corals are just as hard?

Thanks B)

Dolfan0925

that purple firefish is all over the tank. I'm gonna be getting one but I heard they're skittish like jawfish. I want yours!:P

hey dolfan,

the purple firefish will hide for maybe a day. then he will come out. If something in the tank harrasses it then it wont.

My elegance died 2 days ago. dont know why. all my parameters were perfect. Who knows

Do a little more research next time before purchasing. These things are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity, primarily because they prefer areas of high sediment and nutrients. A DSB style tank replicating a shallow lagoon area would offer the best chances of keeping these long term. Definitely NOT a nano. Your parameters may have been 'perfect' for organisms that tend to inhabit the reef proper...but not for these guys.

coral reef

skysdale is compleatly right not a coral anyone should try untill we can figure exactly what they need which will most likly be never

theclearblue

Actually, believe it or not, elegance corals used to be one of the easier to keep LPS back in the day, something happened in recent years that really affected mortality in home aquaria. There's a research project going on right now looking into elegance disease and care in captivity. The truth is we won't know for quite some time.

That being said, your elegance looked severely bleached in previous pics, and I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

Archived